Talk

Advanced search

To think bidets should be removed?

(140 Posts)
Elouera Wed 24-Jun-20 12:37:54

If you were renovating a large, 1940's home, would you replace the bidets when modernising the bathrooms?

YABU- replace with modern ones
YANBU- remove them altogether

OP’s posts: |
Outnumbered99 Wed 24-Jun-20 12:39:29

I'd definitely remove if it meant I had more space to use for a bath and a big walk in shower. Don't think id keep anyway tbh, but don't know why.

Apple1029 Wed 24-Jun-20 12:41:54

I would remove. I find them gross tbh.

Addler Wed 24-Jun-20 12:42:29

I would remove but install a handheld bidet/sprayer. They're great.

DeeplyMovingExperience Wed 24-Jun-20 12:42:40

I deeply regret removing the bidets from our house. They are BRILLIANT for washing your feet and doing home pedicures!

PotholeParadise Wed 24-Jun-20 12:43:57

Replace. It's future-proofing in case of toilet tissue paper shortages.

Itisbetter Wed 24-Jun-20 12:45:15

Depends if you use a bidet?? I would love one.

LakieLady Wed 24-Jun-20 12:45:36

Bidets are great for all sorts of things besides their intended purpose.

They're the perfect height for resting a foot on while you shave your legs, if, like me, you have a bad back and a dodgy knee.

HelpMeh Wed 24-Jun-20 12:45:37

Replace with magical, Japanese-style, bum washing toilet grin I can't wait to install my magical bum washing toilet.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 24-Jun-20 12:47:57

I have one and it's an absolute waste of space (luckily I have a big bathroom)
When it's remodeled it will be going!

Pugsrus Wed 24-Jun-20 12:52:11

They are great for washing dogs in

Jaxhog Wed 24-Jun-20 12:54:26

We took ours out. I wish we hadn't and am looking at upgrading to a Japanese all in one toilet. Much more hygenic.

Smallgoon Wed 24-Jun-20 12:58:13

I installed a Japanese style bidet toilet pre corona. I think it's great.

pistolknight Wed 24-Jun-20 13:04:05

Love my bidet- dont think it's ever been used for it's intended purpose though - soaking nappies etc when children were small, hand washing before they could reach the sink, as an emergency loo when children both need to go, duckling bath when they were small, and the cats quite often sleep
In it 😂

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 24-Jun-20 13:04:39

I was going to suggest Japanese toilet too. I’m definitely getting one when we upgrade our bathroom smile

Elouera Wed 24-Jun-20 13:05:11

Just bought the house. Strangely, the toilet is in a separate room, and the bidet is in the main bathroom- with no toilet in the that bathroom!!! I cannot imagine anyone waddling with trousers around their knees to the next room to use the bidet! confused

Our current home doesn't have a bidet and I've never used one. I was looking at the Japanese toilets though. I've heard that bidets are making a comeback, but really don't know if we'd use them.

GreyishDays Wed 24-Jun-20 13:05:24

Depends if you use it or not.

Hangingover Wed 24-Jun-20 13:06:24

When I was abroad I used one of the spray hoses for the first time
Game. Changer. Why isn't everyone doing this??

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Wed 24-Jun-20 13:08:35

My MIL’s old house was that layout with bidet with bath and shower and toilet separately. It’s a mad set up. In that I’d definitely get Japanese toilet and no bidet.

NewtonPulsifer Wed 24-Jun-20 13:10:40

We got rid of ours and I really regret it. When we eventually remodel, I might get another, or go for a fancy Japanese style toilet.

Northernsoullover Wed 24-Jun-20 13:12:07

I lived in Spain for a few years and I absolutely loved it. It was used for its intended purpose but also great for feet and as a PP said perfect for shaving legs. I also used to soak my delicates in there like bras. Its not disgusting. Clean them and they are fine!

Northernsoullover Wed 24-Jun-20 13:12:40

My flats in Spain all had bidets I meant to say.

healththrowawayx Wed 24-Jun-20 13:14:50

Aren’t bidets more hygienic? I would say they’re modern rather than dated - there’s probably better bidets on the market than the one you currently have

I don’t think they’re gross. Then again, I don’t think post-shit bums are clean after just a couple wipes with toilet paper😷

Elouera Wed 24-Jun-20 13:46:54

Sorry if its a weird question, but once you've used the bidet, do you then dry yourself with a towel or toilet paper? Also, do you sit on it like a toilet, or the other way around facing the taps??? confused

BigChocFrenzy Wed 24-Jun-20 13:51:39

If the bathroom has no toilet - which is an essential ! - then obviously replace the bidet with one
- maybe one of those Japanese bottom-squirters pp recommend

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in