Talk

Advanced search

To risk it and book a holiday

(11 Posts)
Witchofzog Tue 23-Jun-20 21:10:01

I should be away now and am gutted. I love my holidays and having something to.look forward to is really beneficial for my mental health.

I have found a holiday for 9th Sept. It's with Love Holidays and Jet 2. I already have a voucher for half the cost of this holiday as the holiday that was cancelled was with Love Holidays too.

However the FCO are advising against all but essential travel. Do I risk it and book now in the hope that this will hopefully not apply then or do I wait until it is confirmed? And if I wait how much do you think the prices will go up? Also, will I get my money back if the restriction is lifted and then put in place again considering I have booked while the restrictions were initially in place?

I can't stop thinking about this and keep changing my mind

OP’s posts: |
Rosieredapples Tue 23-Jun-20 21:12:58

We've booked flight today for a holiday in August, it's a place we have stayed before in Spain and have booked a villa to stay in. We can cancel the villa for free and we can move the flights until the end of the year if need be. I was happy with this, we are desperate for a holiday, but I'm thinking if it can't go ahead we should get to go later. It's all a risk just depends on how willing you are to lose the money / holiday by taking a chance now.

Witchofzog Tue 23-Jun-20 21:32:55

I guess it's whether I will get a refund if the FCO are saying not to go because of the fact that I would have booked when the restrictions were also in place. I don't mind if I will get my money back if I can't go though

OP’s posts: |
Rosieredapples Tue 23-Jun-20 22:03:37

I think you have to be willing to lose it, our flights were half the price they would usually have been. Knowing I can move them for free before the end of the year even if we did a hol at october half term I would definitely use them. The villa can be cancelled with full refund. I checked for holiday insurance and it's being sold though obviously with clauses due to covid. September is still weeks away, the flights I booked have already gone up. Can you book something else with flexible flights and cancellation on a hotel or villa and use the voucher another time?

Witchofzog Wed 24-Jun-20 09:08:41

I could book with another company but it's going to be the same issue I think. They may turn round and say that I booked knowing restrictions were already in place with the FCO. If I book using the voucher I need to spend less "real money" and the flights are with Jet2 who have been great at refunding people so far

OP’s posts: |
geekone Wed 24-Jun-20 10:05:46

It will be fine I then. Do it.

You could argue that your holiday is needed for your mental health and is essential travel.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 24-Jun-20 10:25:25

You could argue that your holiday is needed for your mental health and is essential travel

I'm not sure that insurance companies and the FCO would agree with that. After all, if it's rest, relaxation and a change of scene that's needed, you could do that in this country.

www.which.co.uk/news/2020/06/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

'What’s clear, though, is that a holiday is not generally classed as essential. No matter how badly you think you need it'

Remember that many insurance policies include no cover at all if travelling against FCO guidance. So your claim, even if not COVID-19 related, might not be paid.

Teadrinker6 Wed 24-Jun-20 10:45:03

We've already moved our holiday 3 times. From April to October which was free to change. We've now paid 50 pounds per person to change again to a different destination in December. Approaching the time if things don't look good we will change again. Never ever changed holidays before but a long as you change 30 days before your travel date you don't lose all your money.

StarlightLady Wed 24-Jun-20 10:57:27

I would only book accommodation on a free cancellation basis and a flexible flight. If, at the time, FCO guidance is still not to travel, insurance policies will not be valid. That includes if you are ill overseas.

FinallyHere Wed 24-Jun-20 14:01:02

I honestly cannot imagine booking a visit to any country again at FO advice. As PP say, your insurance will not be valid. There is a very real chance that you could get caught in another lock down, even a small regional lockdown could easily be imposed.

How long could you afford to stay in those conditions with no FO support if anything went wrong ?

Absolutely everyone wants a holiday. I would absolutely hang in and see what happens and only book something that you can definitely get a refund for.

Would they even refund the voucher ?

Witchofzog Wed 24-Jun-20 19:51:46

I absolutely would not travel if the FCO advised against it. I used to work in travel insurance and would never take the risk. I called Jet2 today who said they would cancel and either refund the flight or issue a voucher if it was to be cancelled due to FCO advice being the same now. The guy on the phone said that Jet2 would not want to put their staff or their licence at risk either by flying against fco advice. So I guess I have nothing to lose by booking as I will get my money back if I cant go

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »