Talk

Advanced search

Need advice for life insurance and critical illness cover

(14 Posts)
Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 16:55:11

So we have been really silly and not done this! İ know flame away. Just isn't something that we have thought about but we are sorting or i should say have half sorted.

Anyway. İ have just signed up to a company called deadhappy for life insurance. I'm 28 no health issues. DH 43 again no health issues. We have 4 kids together. All 7 and under. I'm now thinking we should have a joint life and critical illness cover insurance instead of separate ones.... İ really don't know much and i fill in the comparisons and get loads of bloody calls trying to sell to me and i don't know what to look for. Deadhappy is good as you can cancel any time. But I haven't heard much about them.
Also we don't drink and i don't smoke. DH stopped smoking 11 years ago.

Any advise!?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Singlebutmarried Mon 22-Jun-20 16:58:48

Yes. You definitely need some insurance of some sort.

There’s many product out there so I’d recommend speaking with an adviser as they’ll have access to many providers and will find the best fit for you and your family whether it’s a joint policy or two seperste ones depending on your needs.

Happy to ping you an email address for our office.

granadagirl Mon 22-Jun-20 17:03:44

Do you have a mortgage or rent ?

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:04:05

Yes please single. That would be lovely. İ got myself in a bit of a fix about it as i have been very silly. We are doing our wills this week too. But we don't have any family to leave the kids with if the worst should happen. So not sure what to do about that.

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:04:17

We rent

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:04:58

We are now covered for life. And can be cancelled anytime so we are ok for that. But want to cover all bases

granadagirl Mon 22-Jun-20 17:17:08

Does your husband have company pension?
If so then if anything happens you will get his works pension + enhancement if still working
I don’t suppose you work with 4 under 7’s

Just don’t use all your money on
“in the invent off” it can costs a fortune

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:24:40

We have our own family business. İ work for his company doing admin and small tasks like stock orders etc.

chattycathy83 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:29:30

Definitely speak to an adviser, with having your own company you could look at relevant life cover and this could be a company cost. An adviser will be able to put a package together for you to protect your family and advise you on the features and benefits of all the different types of policies

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:31:34

Ok chatty thank you. I will do x

PinkiOcelot Mon 22-Jun-20 17:36:40

If you’re dead set on critical illness cover, please read in to it before you sign. Me and DH had critical illness cover and had a right job on to get them to pay out. It took years and the financial ombudsman to get it sorted.
Apparently, you need the policy to say something like cover you if you can’t do your job, not cover you if you can’t do any job. My DH was medically retired from his job after a serious accident, but the company said he could do another job. It was very stressful at the time.

Givingup123456 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:55:38

Thank you pinki. That's great advice. Sorry about all your trouble though. Very stressful

Educationwhateducation Mon 22-Jun-20 17:59:15

If either of you have a public sector pension your death in service payment is usually 3x your salary and your partner will get a percentage of your pension for life (and any children will get their own percentage up until they are 18 or finish full time education).

Educationwhateducation Mon 22-Jun-20 18:00:14

Sorry, I just saw your update re working for family business - ignore me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »