Talk

Advanced search

To answer the front door in dressing gown

(43 Posts)
SoLegendarySoExtra Mon 22-Jun-20 15:43:20

So early this afternoon a delivery came for DP. While the delivery guy was making his way up the stairs to the apartment front door DP is frantically rushing to get dressed.

I was confused, the dressing gown was long... What was the delivery guy going to see within the short space of time the time the door was open?confused

He feels it’s not “decent” hmm I would have just popped my head through and concealed myself behind the door if anything. The whole idea of getting fully dressed seems quite unusual.

So am I being unreasonable or is he?

OP’s posts: |
AryaStarkWolf Mon 22-Jun-20 15:44:53

Neither of you are BU, if he's not comfortable doing that, that's his choice surely?

Alexandernevermind Mon 22-Jun-20 15:46:56

I would be embarrassed to answer the door in my dressing gown, but would feel worse making a driver wait. I would do the stick your head around the door thing too.

LadyPrigsbottom Mon 22-Jun-20 15:46:59

Sorry, were you going to answer the door in your dressing gown or was your DP?

HariboLectar Mon 22-Jun-20 15:47:03

This is what I do if I'm not dressed so for most of lockdown when the post arrives

I would have just popped my head through and concealed myself behind the door if anything.

HellSmith Mon 22-Jun-20 15:50:50

Never mind the dressing gown what about bed head? I need to be showered at the very least.

SoLegendarySoExtra Mon 22-Jun-20 15:53:11

@LadyPrigsbottom so DP was the one who was going to answer the door but he didn’t want to go in his dressing gown hmm so he quickly gets dressed which I think is weird to say the least.

Cakebakeshake Mon 22-Jun-20 15:56:34

I pretty much answer the door to the postie in pyjamas most days! As long as you're covered, I don't get the worry.

LadyPrigsbottom Mon 22-Jun-20 15:58:12

Ah... for a moment there, I thought he was forbidding you to answer the door in your dressing gown!

Hobbitsleaf Mon 22-Jun-20 15:58:26

I live in my dressing gowns...yes I have several lol....postman/delivery guy/bin men/neighbours have all seen me in my dressing gown. It's either that or look at me in my undies/scruffy pjs underneath. Nobody seems to bat an eyelid around here.

I mean I wear normal clothes too, I'm not in dressing gown all day doing errands etc, but if they are around early enough/I'm having a lazy day with family then sure I'll answer in my gown.

MagisCapulus Mon 22-Jun-20 16:00:01

I work overnight then sleep in the day. I regularly answer the door in my dressing gown.
When I wfh and was cold, I often put my dressing gown over normal clothes to keep warm.so.did it then too!

SoLegendarySoExtra Mon 22-Jun-20 16:00:33

@LadyPrigsbottom ooooh he’s doing that too! But I was dressed in a silky dressing gown, which might slip if I let go of my second hand, and he’s concerned this might attract the attention of the postie

tapdancingmum Mon 22-Jun-20 16:02:01

I wear mine up the garden, taking the bins out, wandering up and down the road star watching plus will answer the door to anyone who knocks wearing it. I've even been to pick my girls up from work or the station wearing it 😄

GoldenPlover Mon 22-Jun-20 16:03:13

Yeah thats weird, I would have just answered in my dressing gown.

Sometimes I wear my dressing gown over my clothes if I'm chilly so if I answer the door in my dressing gown theres a 50% chance that I'm wearing an entire outfit underneath, it's not like I'm naked

nowlook Mon 22-Jun-20 16:35:09

I'm embarrassed to say I'm with your DH on this one. It feels slovenly, given it's the afternoon grin

Practical solution: I put a towel round my head and give a needlessly elaborate back story about just having got out of the shower...

LochJessMonster Mon 22-Jun-20 16:37:32

Early morning then yes dressing gown is ok but I wouldn’t want to been still in dressing gown in the afternoon.

WhatATimeToBeAlive Mon 22-Jun-20 16:42:31

I would be mightily embarrassed if I was still in my dressing gown early afternoon.

Lindy2 Mon 22-Jun-20 16:52:44

Our postman has pretty much seen me in my dressing gown every day during lockdown. He does come at around 10am though so not really late (although not particularly early either).

I think I'd feel a bit uncomfortable if I was still seen in my dressing gown after lunchtime, but I'd still go ahead and open the door if needed. My dressing gown covers more of me than my normal clothes.

planningaheadtoday Mon 22-Jun-20 16:52:59

I throw a wrap dress over my nightie and tie it.

But this was prior to covid. I now open the window and call out to whoever rang the bell from a distance. I have a sign on the door saying it won't be opened.

Laiste Mon 22-Jun-20 16:57:06

I'm sure they deliver to people who are on all sorts of different shift patterns, in all different states of health and in all different kinds of clothes.

YANBU

VenusClapTrap Mon 22-Jun-20 17:09:13

I answer the door in my dressing gown all the time. The only outfit that has ever stopped me answering the door was when I was alone in the house a couple of years ago, and on an impulse decided to see if I could still get into my wedding dress. Then the doorbell went, so I had to hide. Because answering the door in a wedding dress would, quite frankly, be weird as fuck.

Mittens030869 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:26:25

I don't particularly like opening the door to deliveries in my dressing gown, but I don't rush to get dressed to avoid it. That does seem like overkill to me, but everyone is different.

NeutralJanet Mon 22-Jun-20 17:31:25

I would and have opened the door in my dressing gown, I sometimes go out to hang the washing out wearing it too, with pyjamas underneath. Going to ASDA in it would be a step too far, although its something I've seen other people do.

Mittens030869 Mon 22-Jun-20 17:43:32

It was tricky recently due to me being unwell with COVID-19 symptoms, but this was due to a COVID rather than not being dressed. That's passed since having a negative test finally.

Oblomov20 Mon 22-Jun-20 18:01:26

I wear a dressing gown almost constantly. I answer the door and don't give it a seconds thought.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »