Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in thinking sometimes old school technology is better

(6 Posts)
Fluffymulletstyle Sun 21-Jun-20 21:02:57

I'm looking at audiobooks for my 5yo at bedtime.

There are some lovely visually attractive options like tonies and yoto player the kid can operate themselves but they are expensive and you are limited with titles. Not keen on tablets. I don't want an Alexa in the house.

So I'm now considering CD player/ cassette tapes!

OP’s posts: |
freeingNora Sun 21-Jun-20 21:04:15

Look up the rabbit that wants to fall asleep on audio books these stories are lovely

PaperMonster Sun 21-Jun-20 21:30:41

My daughter has some story CDs but BorrowBox and Audible on the IPad are the best as we can put the timer on, so no worries if we fall asleep!!

cherrypiesally Sun 21-Jun-20 21:35:06

Both my kids started with CD players, the 5 year old still uses his every night. He falls asleep to the music playing. No need for a timer.
He can use it himself, change the CDs and is unlikely to break it.
My oldest now has an Alexa at 11 but I know I can trust him to use it sensibly, at time’s he still likes the old CD player though.

Fluffymulletstyle Sun 21-Jun-20 21:49:18

I don't feel quite so ancient suggesting cds, seems they are still in use!

OP’s posts: |
IncyWincyGrownUp Mon 22-Jun-20 01:44:04

As and when they reopen, libraries often have a range of audiobooks for loan. Ours has a mixture of cds and little didgital doodads that you just plug some headphones into.

There are some resources online where they can read along on the website too - though I can’t remember off the top of my head what the damned site is called.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »