Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want a new sofa?

(16 Posts)
supersop60 Sun 21-Jun-20 17:54:56

I am well aware this is a first world problem.
Our current sofa is dark brown leather. It was second hand when DP bought it about 5 years ago, and a) it's too dark, b) it has uncomfortable lumps and bumps and DP won't sit on it, c) I had no say in choosing it.
I'm due some inheritance money, and I want to buy a new suite, but DP just rolls his eyes and moans about 'frittering'. Then he says he'll start looking on Ebay for another 2nd hand one.
This is the third 2nd hand sofa we've had, and I want a new one AIBU?

OP’s posts: |
Thehop Sun 21-Jun-20 17:56:30

I’m 40, and we got our first brand new sofa just before Christmas it’s lovely. I’ve only ever had second hand before that so I feel I’ve earned it and it’s lovely choosing exactly what you want and not “that’ll put me on for a bit longer”

ChubbyPigeon Sun 21-Jun-20 17:58:27

Its your money, get your sofa

Given the fact your secondhand sofa is only 5 years old and needs replacing and a new sofa can last 20 yrs + its hardly frittering away money

supersop60 Sun 21-Jun-20 18:05:10

I don't know how old our current sofa was before we got it!

supersop60 Sun 21-Jun-20 18:06:00

I'm 60 years old and have never owned a brand new sofa.

pickingdaisies Sun 21-Jun-20 18:08:52

Well he chose last time, you choose this time. And it's your money.

PrincessPain Sun 21-Jun-20 18:28:22

Each to their own.
But I have been disappointed with every new sofa I've had.
I didn't spend big bucks, but the more I've paid the more disappointed I've been.
Second hand is my preference these days as I can get much better quality for a fraction of the price.
I've just bought a real leather and solidly built sofa for £30. Chuffed.

But, marriage is compromise, and really the only people who need to discuss it is you 2, otherwise resentment will happen.

SunshineLollipopsRainbow Tue 23-Jun-20 10:21:05

Surely if it's so rubbish that he wont even sit on it he cant have a strong argument that it's been a good purchase

makingmammaries Tue 23-Jun-20 14:40:12

I have the feeling you’re going to be massively disappointed, OP, if you throw good money at a sofa.

I’m currently lounging on one of a set of two leather sofas bought at 5% of their new value, barely used when I got them from a young couple who could not come to terms with the disappointment factor (the zips that are meant to hold the back cushions don’t stay fastened, though the cushions stay in place just fine).

I love my 200€ sofas and would hate them if I’d paid 5000€.

Up to you.

Bluntness100 Tue 23-Jun-20 14:45:02

Op buy your sofas but go and sit on the one you wish to buy first...

redastherose Tue 23-Jun-20 14:46:03

Its your money and you should have an equal vote in choosing what you are going to sit on in (presumably) your own home. Are we to assume that he gets to sit on a more comfortable chair and you get the uncomfortable second hand sofa from the 'he won't sit on it' comment? If that is the case he has absolutely no say in it whatsoever and you should buy what you want. You should also tell him that if he refuses then you are having the comfortable chair and he can spend the next 5 years on the lumpy sofa to make it fair!

onlinelinda Tue 23-Jun-20 15:53:24

It's YOUR MONEY. Stop asking his permission.

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Tue 23-Jun-20 16:00:46

If it's your inheritance you can buy what you want with it although, I think he should have some say if he has to sit on it too. That doesn't mean he gets to totally veto the purchase though.

zingally Tue 23-Jun-20 16:05:26

Just go to the shop and order a new one! Arrange for the old one to be disposed of, and jobs a good un'!

Reedwarbler Tue 23-Jun-20 16:20:23

Sit on a lot before you choose, and for more than a few minutes, speaking as someone who has bought one or two uncomfortable ones in their lifetime. It's your money, spend it on what you want.
I have just ordered a new one. I spent a happy rainy afternoon lounging about in the showroom. I have now got to wait 6 weeks for it to be made (this is a local company) and I can't wait as my current sofa has buggered my back.

Wynston Tue 23-Jun-20 16:51:09

Please buy the sofa.......its something you use every single day!!
My mum was in her 60's before she had a brand new sofa and she loves hers (is hidden under throws to protect it from dogs and grandchildren!!).
My sofa was second hand and the dog has managed to dig a hole in it! We currently have our house on the market and im dreaming there may be a bit in the pot to get my new sofa that I have been dreaming of. (Already picked the one I want!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »