Talk

Advanced search

Do you think you're a fun person?

(36 Posts)
Redleathertrousers Sun 21-Jun-20 16:15:53

I'm asking because I don't really think I am. When I look around me at people who easily make friends and meet partners, they are all fun, have a silly side, laugh a lot and get everyone else laughing. Obviously because they are fun, they draw people to them! Then I look at myself...hmmm...grin

I don't think I know how to be fun. I'm much better at more serious conversation and by serious I don't mean sombre, just the day to day stuff. I can be silly when interacting with children and playing with the dog, but not in other contexts really. I don't really know how to make others laugh unless I'm being sarcastic or commenting as part of somebody else's funny story if that makes sense. God I sound weird.

I just wondered whether you all laugh a lot and whether you'd consider yourself to be fun to be around. I think people would honestly say 'no' to that about me, and would say that's probably not what they'd immediately think of, although I do have some long standing friendships so I can't be that bad. I worry that I'm too boring or serious for anyone to want to be with me in a relationship too. I suppose I am a bit uptight.

OP’s posts: |
OrangeGinLemonFanta Sun 21-Jun-20 16:18:46

In short bursts, I think.

pisspants Sun 21-Jun-20 16:19:45

I am exactly the same op and have been wondering this also- looking forward to reading the thread!

SpeedofaSloth Sun 21-Jun-20 16:19:49

No, not really.

paperandfireworks Sun 21-Jun-20 16:21:58

No I am not. Friends affectionately call me Anti-Bant(er) and Shit-Craic. Its fair enough.

Thurmanmurman Sun 21-Jun-20 16:23:16

I would say I am. I find a lot of things funny and can laugh at myself.

Redcrow Sun 21-Jun-20 16:24:16

Children think I'm super fun, I'm excitable and love exploring and doing things with children. My daughters think I'm a fun mum, we are always playing and having a good time. In fairness that's all that really matters to me. I have friends and theyd saybim good fun on a day out with our kids but my friends still love nights out partying and theyd think I'm really boring in that sense, I like a meal and one or two drinks more then I'm ready for home while my friends will be out until 2am. My husband thinks I'm fun, largely as we have similar interests and have a laugh together but I love alone time and I can I'm not as exciting as a lot of people

PerditaProvokesEnmity Sun 21-Jun-20 16:24:51

Absolutely not!

I was mortified to receive one of those terrifying group thingummies where you add something and send it on to 15 friends. "We've picked those who we think are fun and will respond .. blah ..." I've never possessed 15 friends and the few I do have should look at me funny if I tried to involve them in 'fun' social media stuff. They'd think I'd lost my mind ...

Haworthia Sun 21-Jun-20 16:25:06

Definitely not. But then I’m pretty sure I’m autistic, which explains a lot.

Merryoldgoat Sun 21-Jun-20 16:27:06

People tell me I am but I don’t feel it.

OhTheRoses Sun 21-Jun-20 16:27:50

No. I'm quite serious and stupidity really annoys me. I am cheerful though and happy within.

Ughmaybenot Sun 21-Jun-20 16:29:57

Sounds a bit vain to say it but yes, I am. I make people laugh and I’m always smiling and laughing myself. I’m generally a pretty upbeat, happy person and i like to say yes to ideas or outings or whatever.

Mrsjayy Sun 21-Jun-20 16:30:21

I'm not a fun person I hate forced fun and what not im a pleasant person but not fun.

granadagirl Sun 21-Jun-20 16:31:00

No if fact my sister actually said to my partner one time, xxxx can be quite a serious person. Dp find things funny all the time, I look at him and think “ what’s funny about that”☹️

Laiste Sun 21-Jun-20 16:31:55

I hate people that describe themselves as fun. Or crazyyy. Or zaney.

I can be fun, but only if i'm in the mood. More accurately I am one of life's optimists. Which is more helpful in general i think wink

My DD2 (23) seems on the surface to be rather a 'not fun' sort of person while in fact she is very observant and has a very dry sense of humor. She often has me in fits of laughter. Typical 'fun' people can be exhausting ...

Redleathertrousers Sun 21-Jun-20 16:32:02

Wow so many replies. Thank you, I feel less alone. I just don't really have anything funny to say, maybe fun people do fun things so have funny anecdotes to tell. Even on dates, where we are both laughing it's usually because they've said or brought up something fun/exciting to talk about. Not me. I used to have so much fun as a child. I've lost it somewhere along the way.

HotSince82 Sun 21-Jun-20 16:32:09

At parties? Yes.

Otherwise, no.

DramaAlpaca Sun 21-Jun-20 16:32:22

I enjoy a good laugh but mostly I'm more on the serious side.

GreyGardens88 Sun 21-Jun-20 16:33:41

In my own way, but I think most people think I'm a grumpy git because I dislike children, loud noises and faff!

romdowa Sun 21-Jun-20 16:34:04

I don't think I'm fun either but I'm also possibly asd , so I think maybe my brand of fun isn't the same as other peoples. If I do make someone laugh then its unintentional.

Mrsjayy Sun 21-Jun-20 16:35:29

I find things funny and I have a sense of humour im not all miserable! I have. A FB friend who has been. Cheering us up during lockdown it makes me want to roll up into a ball.

Fleamaker123 Sun 21-Jun-20 16:35:42

Depends what you mean by fun.. In what sense? I don't do zany, silly, only with my children. Don't drink or like to be the focus of attention either.
I'm think I'm a very even-tempered person, not prone to extremes of moodiness or fun. I think I'm quite boring in that sense!
I know others think I'm boring, I've overheard someone say it (ouch!). But I have great, long standing friends who enjoy my company so it doesn't matter to me (maybe they're boring too!)

Redleathertrousers Sun 21-Jun-20 16:36:34

@OhTheRoses yes I can relate to finding some stupidity annoying.

@Laiste I find people with a dry sense of humour very funny. It's my kind of humour, hence why I'm often sarcastic. Interestingly I've noticed people who are a bit 'crazy' are often really popular!

OhhhPeee Sun 21-Jun-20 16:36:49

No, I am absolutely not fun.

All the news items about people doing things for “fun” during lockdown, eg doorstep karaoke, sponsored whatevers, joining in with Joe Wicks, Zion pub quizzes etc. just leave me completely cold. Being fun just sounds exhausting, expensive and tedious to me.

Angelonia Sun 21-Jun-20 16:37:22

I'm a happy person and I smile a lot. I don't think I'm particularly funny though - I think I'm nice to be around rather than witty or hilarious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »