Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours and Dogs

(8 Posts)
LegallyBlue Sun 21-Jun-20 12:26:04

I get on well with my neighbour - she complains a lot about just about everything (not us - but traffic and bin men and the council...) but other than that she's pleasant enough. We have two dogs and so does she. Her dogs bark like crazy when someone comes to the door. This doesn't bother us too much because it doesn't usually last long and it takes the pressure off us a bit if our dog barks - although it has woken our son up from naps a few times. When her dogs bark like this, it will sometimes cause one of our dogs to bark too (the other one never barks) and that's a bit of a pain.
For some reason during lockdown, instead of going out to see people in a public place, she's seeing them on her doorstep. She's not shielding and does go out for shopping and to walk her dogs. For the last few days she appears to have people booked in. One person will arrive, talk for about an hour or so and then leave and then the next person will arrive a few minutes later. Her dogs bark relentlessly throughout which causes our dog to start barking too.
AIBU to wonder why she doesn't just go out and see people? It's becoming a real pain. Should I say something? I don't want to sound like a hypocrite to complain about her dogs barking when mine is barking too.

OP’s posts: |
dobbyssoc Sun 21-Jun-20 12:27:32

If your dogs bark too then I would be a bit miffed you complained about mine!
Do your dogs bark if someone comes to the door?

mencken Sun 21-Jun-20 12:29:57

she must be stone bloody deaf as well as pig-selfish if she can put up with screaming dogs for an hour. You'll be wasting your time.

LegallyBlue Sun 21-Jun-20 12:34:12

@dobbyssoc Like I said, my dog only barks because her dogs are barking. And hers are barking all day for the last few days because she has people at the door.
My complaint isn't so much that her dogs are barking. My complaint is that she's inviting people to stand in front of our houses all day to talk to them even though she knows it will cause her dogs to bark relentlessly.

LegallyBlue Sun 21-Jun-20 12:34:52

My dogs are currently asleep and hers are still barking and barking away.

dobbyssoc Sun 21-Jun-20 12:36:02

@LegallyBlue sorry that's not what I meant. I meant if someone came to your door would your dogs bark?

LegallyBlue Sun 21-Jun-20 12:40:19

@dobbyssoc Sometimes, but not unless the neighbours dogs were barking. Our houses are terraced and our dogs are right next to each other so their dogs usually bark if someone comes to our house or theirs. I also wouldn't invite people to stand in front of my house all day because I know it would wind her dogs up.

dobbyssoc Sun 21-Jun-20 12:44:40

It's difficult because my dog barks if anyone knocks on the door or comes to the door. We have tried everything to stop her but it simply doesn't matter. We could offer her a whole cooked chicken and she'd still bark as to her she is protecting us!
That said I wouldn't necessarily invite people to the door if that was going to happen.
Personally I don't think you talking to them would go down well at all. Maybe you could take your dog out when she is talking on the doorstep and make a big fuss of saying see everything is ok and then say to her oh rover was getting worked up because he thought something was happening outside.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »