Talk

Advanced search

To not donate to this?

(4 Posts)
GlummyMcGlummerson Sat 20-Jun-20 20:03:35

I've recently moved back to my hometown after 20 years in my old city. In that city there is a local campaign trending to donate money for a child who has cancer, and several old friends have asked me to donate (some of them a bitingly asking to buy tickets for their friend's MLM competition hmm).

Reading the story of this poor child, it seems that the NHS has exhausted all its treatments (including trial drugs) and has advised the parents to accept palliative care. Obviously this is devastating and heartbreaking, and I can't imagine what they're going through. The campaign they've set up is to raise half a million pounds to send the child abroad for "life saving treatment". It doesn't elaborate further on that, that's all it says on the Just Giving Page (they did specify the country but for the sake of not outing them I won't put the country on here).

I told one friend that I didn't feel comfortable donating money when it wasn't clear what exactly it's for, and she has basically had a go at me saying it's heartless and presumptive of me, and that no one else is questioning this aspect. I'm really hurt, as she's a good friend whose opinion I hold highly.

I'm happy to part with my money if I believe the cause is worthy. I'm just a little bit unsure on this one - not implying the parents are up to anything dodgy of course, obviously they're doing everything they can for their child, but the lack of information on what the money will be spent on puts me off. AIBU not to donate in these circumstances?

OP’s posts: |
Sparklesocks Sat 20-Jun-20 20:10:26

You don’t have to give your money to anything you don’t want to. No justification needed either way.

1Morewineplease Sat 20-Jun-20 20:18:58

If it doesn’t feel right then don’t give.
If anyone asks, just say that you would like to know the specifics of the aim of the money.

Angelonia Sat 20-Jun-20 20:21:34

So sad, but YANBU at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »