Talk

Advanced search

AIBU // Bike Helmets...

(167 Posts)
TryingToDad Sat 20-Jun-20 09:16:33

All my four children, and I, wear helmets when we're out on our bikes. My husband frequently removes his, or doesn't wear one altogether, usually claiming it makes his head too hot. I think he's a bloody idiot and I'd rather not have to explain to my kids why Daddy died because his head was too hot!!! AIBU or should I chill out a bit...? His suggestion... angry

OP’s posts: |
MrsKeanuCharlesReeves Sat 20-Jun-20 09:22:25

Accidents happen far to easily so we always wear helmets. Even DH who used to protest now realises it's a silly risk to take.

A lovely man from our village got killed a few weeks back on his bike doing his daily route, a young lady driver was using her phone to change the song in her car and hit the gentleman. He had a helmet on but it wasn't fastened so came off on impact if it had of been fastened he may still of been alive now.

ThunderRocket Sat 20-Jun-20 09:38:25

@TryingToDad I would encourage him. One of my dad's work colleagues was hit when he was on his bike. Spent months learning to walk again, but without the helmet on he would have died.

peajotter Sat 20-Jun-20 09:51:27

How about a compromise rule that you always wear them on roads? Otherwise the kids will start to copy him as they get older. We do this- helmets can be removed if hot and we’re on a quiet cycle path.

I would phrase it as setting an example rather than worrying about his safety. Hopefully he will agree that he wouldn’t want his teens on the roads without a helmet, as they don’t have the same risk awareness.

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Sat 20-Jun-20 09:53:36

I wont wear one either. They're too hot and uncomfortable. I'll wear it on roads but I never ride on the road anyway so mostly I just don't. Its my risk to take.

Rewis Sat 20-Jun-20 09:55:38

I don't understand people who won't wear helmets. He won't wear one and it has nothing to do with heat. If it was he would try to find a new helmet, its just he doesnt want to. Maybe you can agree that he will wear one when the kids are present or can see him?

YourDaughter Sat 20-Jun-20 09:56:27

This is my cousin’s wife. And these are her words. Her helmet was barely damaged. She is a professional athlete and crashed at 50kmph, but even an accident at a slower speed can have awful consequences. Please get him to wear his helmet

“Just over 2 years ago this happened. As a professional athlete, crashing becomes part of the job, and to not show weakness is a sign of strength, right?….Wrong!! A concussion is a minor brain injury. It disturbs the brains function and it’s not ok, to be ok with a bump or fall to the head. Just because you cant see something, doesn’t mean it’s not there. When I crashed at the European cross champs 2 years ago, my concussion was only recognised through Matts own experience of hitting a car head on earlier in his own career. The concussion he sustained wasn’t really recognised, due to his other injuries at the time. That resulted in long term post concussion symptoms, which carried on for over a year after his crash.

That one crash at the euros hit me hard. I was knocked out for only 20-30 seconds at the most, and yet during that 2 weeks post crash I was left with dizziness, confusion, unable to read/watch any kind of screen, I couldn’t face bright light and suffered numerous panic attacks through the night. A lot of my time was spent just sat in my bedroom because I couldn’t face being out in the open, I just wanted to sleep. Those were symptoms of a concussion. Im thankful I had Matt there, to recognise that those symptoms I was experiencing, resulted from the impact sustained to my head. It took someone else to recognise them, and If Matt hadn’t been aware of the symptoms of a concussion, I would have been left wondering what an earth was going on. It could of quite easily lasted a lot longer than it.

You don’t have to be knocked out to sustain a concussion. I encourage all coaches & athletes with any sort of bump to the head to immediately stop what your doing. The rule “If in doubt, sit it out” couldn’t be more true. There are many (SCAT) Sideline Assessment Concussion Tools online for you to recognise symptoms of a concussion.”

Letshavesometea Sat 20-Jun-20 09:59:09

I think he's an idiot but my husband is the same! I try and encourage him but its his choice and I can't force him. I make sure I always wear mine, the kids wear theirs and hopefully they will continue to follow my example as they get older.

GeraltsSilverSword Sat 20-Jun-20 10:01:55

My nine-year-old recently had an accident on his scooter which resulted an extradural haematoma. He had to be intubated and go through a craniotomy to relieve pressure on his brain. And all because of one awful mistake by us, his parents.

He has recovered quickly and is doing brilliantly, but it was fucking terrifying. We thought we would lose him.

Please, whether you are on a bike, a scooter or skateboard, whether you are young or old, wear a helmet. Every. Single. Time. Because the one time you forget to pack it could be the one time you really need it. We forgot to pack it on the day of my son’s accident, and that will haunt us for the rest of our lives.

Macncheeseballs Sat 20-Jun-20 10:03:45

I'd rather cycle with out a helmet than snowboard down a mountain - adults should be allowed to make their own risk assessments

MockersMisguidedByTheScience Sat 20-Jun-20 10:04:00

She is a professional athlete and crashed at 50kmph

Now do you see the pertinent fact, there?

Keepithidden Sat 20-Jun-20 10:13:49

Cycling UKs policy seems pretty sensible:

www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets

Basically, look at the facts, not the emotional anecdotes, and make up your own mind. Don't force your opinion on others especially when the current science doesn't back it up.

GeraltsSilverSword Sat 20-Jun-20 10:14:57

Meant to add that my husband was the same and would never wear a helmet on his bike, but since the accident he has worn one every time.

GeraltsSilverSword Sat 20-Jun-20 10:16:23

Apologies if I’ve come across preachy. It’s still very raw.

Elbels Sat 20-Jun-20 10:18:04

It really irritates me when I see cyclists without helmets, especially around London where the traffic is nuts.

My dad had a cycling accident a few years ago, no other vehicle was involved and he had some pretty significant injuries that meant he couldn't work for two months. I dread to think what would have happened if he hadn't been wearing a helmet.

StatementKnickers Sat 20-Jun-20 10:18:25

I mostly wear mine, but it does make my head hot. There are differing views on the necessity of helmet-wearing for adults - Cycling UK has a lot to say on this.

www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets

nettytree Sat 20-Jun-20 10:19:10

My husband would have been dead if it wasn't for the helmet. He was knocked off his bike last year. The helmet was nearly broken in 2 because of the impact.

Findingapath Sat 20-Jun-20 10:26:28

I persuaded my husband to wear his saying it’s important to set a good example for the kids. They are only little but if they know there is no compromise on it and the reason behind it, then hopefully they will always wear theirs.
I remember my Dad always insisted I wore mine when I was little, some of the other kids on the road used to laugh at me for it (for some reason it was seen as geeky to wear one in the 90’s amongst my friends) but I just brushed it off and told them the reason I wore it. I think that reluctance in some adults must stem from the ‘geeky’ view they had as a kid, I know my husband reasons did deep down, glad he changed his mind.

MockersMisguidedByTheScience Sat 20-Jun-20 10:26:36

If you want to stay safe, take care where you ride, when you ride and how you ride.

I am sure that compulsory helmets for pedestrians would save lives. I look forwards to seeing the campaign for their enforcement.

YourDaughter Sat 20-Jun-20 10:29:14

@MockersMisguidedByTheScience, yes I do, which is why I mentioned it.
My point was that in a 50kmph crash her helmet was barely damaged, her face and head were very banged up. Helmets are designed to bear the brunt of impact, they are very good at what they do

277xo Sat 20-Jun-20 10:30:07

I have a permanent dent in the soft tissue in my forehead from a bike accident, I was told if I wasn’t wearing a helmet it would have been much worse!

BeforeIPutOnMyMakeup Sat 20-Jun-20 10:33:20

One of my brother's belongs to a cycling club. Two of his club mates died on a training exercise on the road. They were wearing helmets. They were not fully looking where they were going.

Helmets only protect you at slow speeds. They do not protect you from not being road aware while cycling or from a motor vehicle going over your body.

Oh and your husband would be safer cycling in a skirt with a blonde wig.

icansmellburningleaves Sat 20-Jun-20 10:42:57

He’s an idiot and he’s setting a terrible example to your children.

Macncheeseballs Sat 20-Jun-20 10:51:39

Why the hell does what someone else puts on their head or not irritate complete strangers? Your husband and kids, yes but complete strangers? It's absolutely none of your business. Let people make their own decisions about their risks in life. Do you get the same about smokers?

wombat1a Sat 20-Jun-20 11:04:35

Honestly i think the only 'solution' to all this is for the Gonv to make it law in the same way they made wearing seatbelts law.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »