Talk

Advanced search

Bikes. Are you 5ft 3????

(45 Posts)
Emergencycake Fri 19-Jun-20 23:15:18

Help. I want to buy a bike to keep up with DD. Not been on one since I was a teen and don't want to buy anything expensive. Have looked for second hand, but can't find one locally. What size would you order? I'm thinking 26" wheel with 17" frame but nervous spending without sitting. ARE YOU 5FT 3??? Help

OP’s posts: |
LolaDarkdestroyer Fri 19-Jun-20 23:17:19

26 inch is what I have I'm 5.2 my daughter is slightly taller than me and has a 26 inch

newyeardelurker Fri 19-Jun-20 23:22:04

Hi I'm 5'7" and have a 26 inch wheel / 17 inch frame. I think you would want a smaller frame maybe 15". 26 inch wheel is a standard size one you get out of children's bikes. HTH.

JacobReesMogadishu Fri 19-Jun-20 23:24:47

I am. I’m an XS in Liv bikes. No idea what that equates to but 15” rings a bell.

Emergencycake Fri 19-Jun-20 23:25:18

Bought kids trainers before, but will be scouring the kids bike section now 😂

JacobReesMogadishu Fri 19-Jun-20 23:26:22

I think mtb sizes are different and are in inches. Road bikes are in cm or small, med, large. Think my ideal road bike size is 45cm......I have a 48cm bike which is just about ok.

Ameliablue Fri 19-Jun-20 23:27:08

I'm 5'2 and bought a bike aimed at a teenager as was cheaper than any aimed at a small adult.

JacobReesMogadishu Fri 19-Jun-20 23:27:11

Don’t get a kids bike, you’re not that short and it’ll be fairly crap.

Lemonsaretheonlyfruit Fri 19-Jun-20 23:28:47

Thanks @emergencycake.. I came on to ask similar re bikes and am also your height. I have been going around on DS (ten) spare bike and I look like a child on it!

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 19-Jun-20 23:29:22

You do need to go and sit on a couple of bikes, go to Decathalon (if it's open/when it re-opens) and you can have a pedal too. I say this because I'm 5 2 and I've had a bike that doesn't fit me and a bike that fits me and the difference was extraordinary. I literally couldn't manage any distance on the bike that didn't fit. The key measure for me though is saddle to handlebars and you just won't get a sense of that unless you sit on the bike.

Wtfdidwedo Fri 19-Jun-20 23:30:18

26 wheel, 15 frame fits me best at 5'3. Get a Frog, Isla or Squish aimed at 12 year olds. Most definitely not crap as someone said above.

Soontobe60 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:30:34

Get down to Decathlon. They’ll sort out the right size for you, and set it up.

PasswordPatroller Fri 19-Jun-20 23:30:59

Here's Evan's sizing guide. You need a 15-16 inch frame.
www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing-mountain.

When I bought my bike from them I was able to test ride. The staff were very helpful and gave good advice.

Blackbear19 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:32:32

I am about the same height my bike, is a small ladies mountain bike 26" wheels and 15" frame.
It's about 10 years old and a lot of bikes have changed two 29" wheels even on the small adult frames.

sarkyone Fri 19-Jun-20 23:32:42

I bought a bike at the start of lockdown. I'm 5 foot 2 and got a 15 inch frame with 26 inch wheels. I was advised not to consider children's bikes as they are usually 14 inch or less.

TooMinty Fri 19-Jun-20 23:33:07

I got my bike from Evans. I'm 5ft. I can't remember exact sizing but it is a ladies one not child's. When I originally phoned them they said "most women choose a man's frame" but they changed their mind when they saw me in person 😂

Tuesdaylast Fri 19-Jun-20 23:33:56

What kind of bike? Road bikes (drop handlebars) are usually in cm and you probably need a 48cm (this is the seatpost from the bit where the pedals are inserted into the bike to the top). Mountain bikes are measured differently because the shape of the frame is different - so on a mountain bike you might be looking at around 40cm. Try here: www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing-hybrid

Itwasntme1 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:37:24

I’m 5 foot 2 and used to have a kids bike. Was crap.

I now have a 17” Pendleton, it’s great. Perfect size,

Barton10 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:46:08

I’m 5’3 and have a liv small frame bike

Blackbear19 Fri 19-Jun-20 23:51:29

"most women choose a man's frame"

The reason bike shops say that is they stock far more mens bikes than ladies.

There is a difference between a man's bike / body and a ladys bike / body.
An average man of 5 ft 3 will have shorter legs and longer back than you. The saddle will also be different. DH has similar inside leg to me but his bike is longer front to back than mine.

FinallyHere Fri 19-Jun-20 23:54:39

It's also about the relative length of your arms, legs and torso. Getting a bike set up for you properly will make a big difference. I was getting very achey shoulders until I had my handlebars adjusted.

Absolutely with having it set up properly for you. All the best.

Emergencycake Sat 20-Jun-20 00:01:18

Thanks all. Will look into a lot of your suggestions

cherryblossommorningstoday Sat 20-Jun-20 01:05:00

Ooh this is very useful! Thank you for posting. I'm the same height so shamelessly using this to start looking too!

JacobReesMogadishu Sat 20-Jun-20 08:16:58

Wtfdidwedo

26 wheel, 15 frame fits me best at 5'3. Get a Frog, Isla or Squish aimed at 12 year olds. Most definitely not crap as someone said above.

You’re right Isla and frog bikes aren’t crap. But firstly the OP said she didn’t want to spend too much which rules them out. Certainly the Isla bikes. Secondly the woman who owns Isla bikes has previously said that short adults should not buy Isla kids bikes, that she doesn’t recommend it. Saying that I do know someone with an Isla who’s happy with it.

TooMinty Sat 20-Jun-20 08:21:38

Blackbear19

*"most women choose a man's frame"*

The reason bike shops say that is they stock far more mens bikes than ladies.

There is a difference between a man's bike / body and a ladys bike / body.
An average man of 5 ft 3 will have shorter legs and longer back than you. The saddle will also be different. DH has similar inside leg to me but his bike is longer front to back than mine.

Yes, they definitely had loads more men's frames but at least phoning them in advance meant they could dig out their ladies ones. Totally agree about the proportions and different body shapes. Probably another example for "Invisible Women"!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »