Talk

Advanced search

To think someone from Ozark should be arrested

(223 Posts)
notevenat20 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:19:11

I just watched episode 6 of the first series of Ozark. In it a 15 year old girl is shown having sex with a man presumably aged at least 21. The whole thing is dealt with casually as if it’s a normal thing for the man to have done.

Isn’t this just paedophilia and isn’t it actually illegal to show depictions of paedophilia, even if they are not real? Surely the police should at least talk to someone at Ozark.

OP’s posts: |
turnthebiglightoff Fri 19-Jun-20 07:20:19

Ok OP, you do that and the rest of us will crack on with our lives.

hopeishere Fri 19-Jun-20 07:21:14

It's made in America. Maybe their legislation is different.

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Fri 19-Jun-20 07:21:44

what 15 year old?
or perhaps i havent seen Ozark? is that the one with the family in hiding?

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Fri 19-Jun-20 07:22:02

yes it is,

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Fri 19-Jun-20 07:24:13

www.imdb.com/title/tt5071412/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

you could report it here

TedsFederationRep Fri 19-Jun-20 07:25:51

Or log it with NASA.

Pollypocket89 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:26:00

Paedophiles are attracted to pre pubescent children so no, at 15, it doesn't fall under that

Duckfinger Fri 19-Jun-20 07:26:13

I haven't seen it, is it set in the past? Even 20 years ago it was reasonably normal for 15/16 year olds to be with blokes in their early twenties. At least it was in my school and a lot of those relationships are still going strong now.

MadCoffeeLady Fri 19-Jun-20 07:28:58

Whatever you do, keep your eyes closed at the murder parts....

letmethinkaboutitfornow Fri 19-Jun-20 07:31:16

TedsFederationRep

Or log it with NASA.

Do you think they are aliens?
Part of their probing? 😳🤔

notevenat20 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:32:11

MadCoffeeLady. I thought about that it’s really not the same. It’s not illegal to show images of murder but it is illegal to even possess images of paedophilia. Also, murders and murderers are shown as being bad on TV but there was no suggestion that the paedophile in Ozark had done anything wrong.

notevenat20 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:33:20

Pollypocket89 WTAF?!?!

notevenat20 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:34:32

hopeishere I think the law is different you are right but it’s broadcast here too.

SadSisters Fri 19-Jun-20 07:35:26

The US doesn’t have a single age of consent that applies across the whole country. It varies from state to state, and in some states the age of consent is changes depending on the age differential between the parties. The US also has some very regressive child marriage laws whereby a minor (in some states, as young as 10) can be married to an adult, and sexual intercourse between them is not illegal. This is now widely recognised as a form of child abuse and legislation is likely to outlaw the practice in the coming years. It therefore isn’t necessarily the case that Ozark shows something illegal (I haven’t watched it so don’t know the specifics).

In any event - showing illegal, disgusting, dangerous things in tv programmes isn’t prohibited. This includes depictions of pedophilia (see Lolita / Notes on a Scandal etc.).

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Fri 19-Jun-20 07:35:31

@Pollypocket89 is right,

although the 21 year old could be put on the sex offenders for having under age sex with the 15 year old., in the uk at least.

Peasypasta67 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:36:39

I'm so confused by your argument. You are confusing the fact it's a programme and the fact its fictional. Yes it would be statutory rape here and and it's illegal, as is murder, drug dealing and money laundering so really they should all go to prison. It is also illegal to show sexual images of underage girls. But the actress isnt underage so they can depict it. Your logic is baffling.

notevenat20 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:37:21

SadSisters Yes but we are in the UK where it was broadcast and it is illegal here I believe.

hopingtobedally Fri 19-Jun-20 07:38:17

What a load of horse manure
So if a 50 year old grooms and sleeps with a 15 year old he's not a paedophile?

Pollypocket89 Fri 19-Jun-20 07:38:30

@notevenat20 true, Google the definition. Plus in some states, not that I agree, but when I had to write about it, age of consent was as young as 12

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jun-20 07:39:28

Yes it would be statutory rape here

There's no statutory rape in the U.K. but it's still illegal.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jun-20 07:40:08

hopingtobedally

What a load of horse manure
So if a 50 year old grooms and sleeps with a 15 year old he's not a paedophile?

Not in a legal sense, no.

SoupDragon Fri 19-Jun-20 07:40:33

As has been stated, it relates to prepubescent children.

NewNewt Fri 19-Jun-20 07:41:48

Bit the actress was probaby over 16 when this was filmed about 6 years ago? plus they were acting so didn't actually have sex? I think you should direct your efforts against actual paedophiles.

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 19-Jun-20 07:42:55

Somewhere here there is a long, heated, informative thread on the legal UK definition of pedophile.

I remember being a bit shocked, angry even, before the reasons behind it became clear.

I'm on the app, but I'll see if I can find it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »