Talk

Advanced search

Coming off Prozac during covid

(13 Posts)
RandomGirl Thu 18-Jun-20 23:14:51

Basically this. I’m doing it - is anyone else going through it at the moment?

I was always going to do it at this time but then covid also came along for the ride.

I’m really interested to know if anyone else is doing this right now? And how it’s going for them.

OP’s posts: |
anxietrist Thu 18-Jun-20 23:17:54

Out of interest why do you want to come off it? I'm not doing it now but have done previously - go slow! & do as many other positive things as you can alongside (exercise, self care, no booze etc)

RozHuntleysStump Thu 18-Jun-20 23:18:48

Don’t go cold turkey. The brain zaps will kill you.

ohfourfoxache Thu 18-Jun-20 23:26:14

I’m sorry to be blunt, but why would you?

We’re going through a period of huge change, and your body will be trying to produce more serotonin to help you cope. If you’ve got a problem either with serotonin production or serotonin receptors (Prozac is an SSRI?) then now might not be the best time to stop

I’ve been on citalopram for a decade and have never been so glad to be on something as I am at the moment

RandomGirl Fri 19-Jun-20 07:27:25

I’d already started weaning before this happened and I didn’t want to go back to taking it full time. I guess I didn’t want to lose the momentum.

I’d just had enough of being numb to everything - not least the lack of sex drive! I followed the doctors instructions to the letter and got to end of the weaning off it and all was good but now I’m getting the brain zaps a lot in the afternoons/evenings. Clearly weaned for it long enough! Hideous but I’ll ride it out.

I’m proper emotional lately, blubbing at anything but, in a strange way, I like it.

I’d been on it for the last eight years and I’d just had enough. In hindsight, if I’d known about covid, I would not have done it now. I was just wondering if anyone else was in this predicament.

RozHuntleysStump Fri 19-Jun-20 10:45:02

What was your weaning schedule? I am thinking of getting off it too.. I've been on it for 14 years sad

anxietrist Fri 19-Jun-20 12:30:56

What are brain zaps?

MattBerrysHair Fri 19-Jun-20 12:37:42

I did this at the beginning of lockdown. All was fine until about 3 weeks ago when I got very anxious and started getting intrusive thought again. I'm back on it now. I don't think the stress and uncertainty of the current climate is a good backdrop for coming of AD's.

RandomGirl Fri 19-Jun-20 14:57:40

RozHuntleysStump

So I went to every other day for a month then every three days, then four days. Then once a week. Then I stopped. I got brain zaps after a while so just took one as and when but then stopped totally. I started about 2 weeks before lockdown began. I had a conversation with my doctor who advised what time frame to go with.

I don’t regret it and will be glad when it’s all out of my system but my emotions are definitely all over the place at the moment

RandomGirl Fri 19-Jun-20 14:59:17

I read this article this morning and found it really helpful/reassuring:

www.verywellmind.com/prozac-withdrawal-symptoms-timeline-and-treatment-4766892

ohfourfoxache Fri 19-Jun-20 15:00:32

Sounds like the emotional side is pretty horrible to deal with sad

If you felt the need to start taking something again is there another you could try?

RozHuntleysStump Fri 19-Jun-20 17:18:38

Thanks. I might try it myself.

RandomGirl Fri 19-Jun-20 18:03:14

I don’t think I want to be on medication any longer, I would just like to see how it is to be drug-free. It might not work, gotta give it a go!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »