Talk

Advanced search

To ask cleaner to wear a mask while cleaning

(120 Posts)
Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:35:44

Thinking about having our cleaner back. She said that she's not wearing a face mask in other families houses at the moment as it gets hot.

AIBU to ask her to have a face mask on while she cleans our house? (We will be out while she is here) If it's too much of an ask I might just postpone having her back until I'm more comfortable...

OP’s posts: |
CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 18-Jun-20 11:37:11

yabu, particularly since you are out!
where exactly is she spreading the virus? She is cleaning.

Ifailed Thu 18-Jun-20 11:39:56

If you are worried about her spreading disease via her breath, presumably you'd also want her don full protective gear before entering your house, less she's carrying something on her clothes, shoes, hair, skin etc?

Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:39:57

I see cleaners in offices and shops wearing masks. So I thought there must be a point or guidance in doing so.

Mummytime1 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:40:25

Unsure if you are unreasonable or not but either way you are not ready for her to clean without one and she doesn’t want to clean with one. So either wait until you are more comfortable or find a new cleaner who meets your requirements. If you do decide to wait she may feel your space with someone else so you may loose her.

Mummytime1 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:41:06

Fill not feelhmm

Windyatthebeach Thu 18-Jun-20 11:41:57

As a specs wearer I would have to politely decline. As a cleaner I wear clean clothes and socks. Shoes left outside. Bleach solution all handles and surfaces as first job. Hand wash regularly as cleaner guidelines. On getting home a shower and clean clothes.

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 18-Jun-20 11:42:10

i know of two cleaners, one with huge mask, and one with no mask., office work

TheTrollFairy Thu 18-Jun-20 11:43:49

I don’t think you are unreasonable to ask, especially if it will make you more comfortable about them being there

acquiescence Thu 18-Jun-20 11:45:27

I think YABU. The risk if of droplets spreading via the air and you will not be there. Do you have concerns about her hygiene generally? If you are happy that she would use a tissue if she sneeze rather than sneeze on something that you are likely to lick then I wouldn’t worry.

Wearing a mask is horrible and uncomfortable. I have to for work and would really, really rather not. It makes me feel stressed and claustrophobic.

PlugUgly1980 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:46:46

Our cleaner started back last week. She doesn't wear a mask, and we're either out or shut in the study when she's here. I'm happy.

Letshavesometea Thu 18-Jun-20 11:47:15

Going against the grain- I personally wouldn't ask but I don't think you are being unreasonable to ask considering it is your home.

LuckyMarmiteLover Thu 18-Jun-20 11:48:24

Our cleaner came back last week - hooray and has just left today. I offered her masks and gloves but she didn’t want them. She washes her hands when she arrives. We are all in the house too when she’s here. I’m quite an anxious person but don’t feel overly worried about this.

Greysparkles Thu 18-Jun-20 11:52:23

Why would she if no one else is there?
If you were home would you wear a mask also whilst she was there?

Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:53:16

Thank you. Good to hear from the people who have had their cleaners back, especially.

I always wear a mask outside home. So I probably felt more strongly about our cleaner wearing it.

I'm in the vulnerable group (not shielding). I think I'll ask her again and if she says no I'll have to get my friends cleaner who I know wears a mask (and wants to wear it) while cleaning...

Thanks again

MatildaTheCat Thu 18-Jun-20 11:53:57

My cleaning agency insists on it and I think that’s fine. The official advice changes every five minutes and you have no idea what she’s doing and where she’s going in between your visits and she equally has no idea about your life.

I’d personally not mind if she didn’t as long as we aren’t in the same space.

It’s fine for you to ask. Will you provide the mask? My cleaner also opens the windows and doors in all the rooms as she cleans to add ventilation.

Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:55:01

Yes I've have masks for our cleaner and tradesmen already.

MiniMum97 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:57:26

My cleaner is wearing a mask and says she is doing this in all her clients houses. YANBU.

DownToTheSeaAgain Thu 18-Jun-20 11:58:38

If you are not in at the time how will you know if she wears it or not?

Nickname21 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:25

She's cleaning,not licking all your furnishings so I think yabu.

Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:29

@DownToTheSeaAgain

I don't expect a reasonable grown up to lie about these things 😂

CrowdedHouseinQuarantine Thu 18-Jun-20 12:01:47

i think it is unnecessary,

cologne4711 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:02:12

I'd have thought the masks in shops/offices were more about protecting the cleaners from all the chemicals they would otherwise breathe in.

Nothing to do with covid.

If you are worried about her being there even when you're out, then it's probably best if you wait until you are less anxious.

Avocado1234 Thu 18-Jun-20 12:03:22

Asked again and she says that she prefers not to as it's awkward. So I'm texting my friend for her cleaners number..

Feel a little bad as I now need to stop paying my old one. (I've been paying her normally throughout the lockdown but can't double pay going forward)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Codywolf Thu 18-Jun-20 12:03:38

I clean for someone and haven't been able to work with a mask on it too constrictive.

The family have been fine with this as they have done what you do and left the house

If your cleaner is doing it properly than there should be no issues

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »