Talk

Advanced search

Would this be poor form or just sensible?

(4 Posts)
Sandsnake Thu 18-Jun-20 11:11:26

Not a mega dilemma by any means but I put great stock in doing the right thing and am interested in others’ opinions.

Pre-Covid we were about to put the house on the market. We were choosing between three agents, all very keen on selling our house. Estate agents A and B have the majority of the market in our local area and were professional and pleasant seeming. C is a very good agent but more dominant in an area slightly south of us. We were considering buying a house through C (we didn’t in the end) and built a good relationship with the director of the agency. Just before Covid we decided to go on the market with C and were just at the point of signing contracts when lockdown hit and it all got put on hold.

We’re now looking to go on the market again. In that time Estate Agent A has become even more dominant in the area we are selling and looking to buy. It seems everyone uses them. Meanwhile C the doesn’t seem to have much coming up in our area at all.

DH and I are minded to change from C to A. We never signed anything with C and they didn’t spend any money / put in any work to sell our property. But I had told them we were using them in March, which they were naturally pleased with and I just feel bad taking work away from them during what must be a very difficult time.

So would it be poor form to change agent at this time, given there’s quite a lot that happened since?

YANBU - you’re overthinking it, just do what you think is best for you.
YABU - you agreed to use agent C in March and it would be poor form to change now.

OP’s posts: |
AfterSchoolWorry Thu 18-Jun-20 11:14:48

You can't feel any loyalty to estate agents. Its business. They wouldn't give you a second thought!

Do whatever the right thing is to maximise your own financial situation.

Alsohuman Thu 18-Jun-20 11:17:01

Go with whichever one is more likely to sell your house and get the best price for it.

Sandsnake Thu 18-Jun-20 11:42:47

Thanks both! I know you’re right - there’s no loyalty needed. That’s 100% YANBU so helps me make the decision to switch to A.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »