Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to not mention it until the scan?

(21 Posts)
WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 10:30:29

So I'm currently 11 weeks. I went to the bathroom, and when I wiped I noticed that my mucus plug had come out. Naturally it's way too early for it to be doing that, though I know that for some people bits can come off of the mucus plug throughout pregnancy and it can regenerate.

That said, after a surgery I had for endometriosis, my cervix has felt permanently open. I checked it and it's soft and short (feels more like a bump than something sausage-shaped, sorry if TMI), so I worry that it might not be doing its job properly, which would make miscarrying/preterm labour more likely.

I don't know if I should wait until my 12 week scan next week and mention it to a healthcare professional then, or if I should call the GP or midwife about this. I'm not bleeding or cramping, but I know I'll feel awful if I do nothing and then happen to miscarry this baby. Advice from anyone who has experienced similar would be greatly appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
ThePlantsitter Wed 17-Jun-20 10:32:53

I think it is more likely to be normal mucus than the actual plug. But if you are worried and since you have had surgery, don't wait; call your midwife for advice.

Windyatthebeach Wed 17-Jun-20 10:35:35

Report any bleeding /anything odd to mw. She is the pro. Let her decide if its nothing or not..

Parmavioletmum Wed 17-Jun-20 10:40:37

I'd call either your midwife or if you have a local EMU for advice. It is most likely nothing to worry about but if you wait and it is, then you'd have wished you had rung earlier.

devuskums Wed 17-Jun-20 10:55:52

Please ring your midwife now, they will not mind at all. If your cervix is open infection could enter. I know this from bitter experience.

WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 11:02:33

I admittedly don't have a given number for my midwife, they just gave me an on-the-phone booking appointment through a private number, and a phone number for booking the scan.

I don't think that my local EPU will be any help, I experienced a week of red spotting when I was 5 weeks pregnant and was told they wouldn't be in contact with me unless I was bleeding heavily and had heavy cramps, so I'm feeling a bit lost.

The surgery was a year ago, but my cervix has been that way ever since. I just want to make sure that I'm adequately informed, but worry that I'll annoy them if this turns out to not be something worth being concerned about.

ToddlerBumpBorderCollie Wed 17-Jun-20 11:08:25

What makes you say it’s mucus plug rather than just mucus? The latter is totally normal.
If you’re concerned, find the number for your local team or phone GP and ask them for it and get some advice. No one will mind at all!!!

WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 11:16:03

Because it was like one long thick gelatinous mass, and it was yellowy, whereas my discharge is white and liquidy.

When I looked online, the images and descriptions of an early plug looked and sounded the same as what I passed. That, combined with how short and soft my cervix feels, makes me a little concerned.

I will try my local team. My GP seemed irritated when I called about the bleeding at 5 weeks, so I don't really want to bother her again if I can avoid it.

I've found the number of my local antenatal clinic, so will try that.

Windyatthebeach Wed 17-Jun-20 11:19:30

Seriously never a call wasted to a mw...

OoohTheStatsDontLie Wed 17-Jun-20 11:21:06

Call now. I don't understand why you wouldn't

101stNC Wed 17-Jun-20 11:21:47

I thought I lost my mucus plug at 9-10 weeks, it turned out to be just mucus. The shifting hormones altered the type of discharge I had.

if you're worried then I would always reccomend being checked out, esp if you've had problems with your cervix.

I'm sorry your GP was crap about your bleeding early on. Don't be scared to reach out to her again. It's never a waste of time.

WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 11:24:13

Tried calling antenatal, the extension for "concerns about pregnancy" doesn't work, and "for any other enquiries please hold" doesn't either. I tried another extension as well, but that one just rang out for a long time and then cut off. I guess I'll try my GP after all.

sleepismysuperpower1 Wed 17-Jun-20 11:26:40

if you can't get a hold of your gp, try the tommys midwife helpline. they will be able to offer advice.
www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/about-us/tommys-midwives
the link above will take you to the phone number
all the best x

toinfinityandlockdown Wed 17-Jun-20 11:28:09

It might be they want to put a stitch in if you’ve had surgery impacting your cervix. The NHS can (at the best of times) act as if pregnancy before 12 weeks is not real, but persevere because there are things they can do if what you suspect is the problem, is a problem.

WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 11:34:55

@sleepismysuperpower1 thank you, I didn't know about that line. I will try that next if my GP isn't able to help.

@toinfinityandlockdown I've heard of the stitch, I just want to find out either way if I need one, given that having it in (if I do need it) reduces rate of miscarriage/preterm birth by 30-50%. Thank you for your reassurance. It definitely felt like that when I had the bleed at 5 weeks. Hopefully this is nothing and the baby is fine.

starfish4 Wed 17-Jun-20 11:45:02

I'd give them a call, that's what they're there for. Many appointments are initially over the telephone at the moment, but at least they can assess and will obviously see you if they can to check you over.

ThePlantsitter Wed 17-Jun-20 11:58:30

All the people (like me) saying it is probably fine are not trying to dismiss you, they are trying to reassure you before you can actually speak to someone. I think you need to learn to advocate for yourself and your baby if you think there's something wrong. It is a lesson all pregnant women and mothers have to learn unfortunately. I wish we were given fewer lessons about not making a fuss as girls but there we are.

I still think it is probably fine by the way, but I would never suggest waiting if you think you need to speak to someone.

GlumyGloomer Wed 17-Jun-20 12:00:15

Try your EPU again, there is a very big difference between 5 and 11 weeks in terms of what they can actually do.

waterjungle Wed 17-Jun-20 12:10:36

If you have had surgery on your cervix please question them very closely on cervical sutures.
I had LETTZ in my mid twenties my first pregnancy was at 37 and I made sure I mentioned it to MW at booking in. She didn't seem that interested.
It wasn't until I was admitted for Hyperemesis and was asked to take part in an unrelated study at 12 weeks that I mentioned it to a doctor. She said 'of course you are under extra observation' when I said no one was interested she had a little panic.
As luck would have it the head of the Pre-term unit was passing had a look and booked me in right there and then for a stitch. My cervix was very damaged and short.
I was a lot more pushy in my next pregnancy. My point is I thought I could rely on nurses and doctors to know what should be done when I actually had to instigate and push myself.
Ask the questions and chase up the answers, don't think you are pestering like someone said earlier a call to a MW is never wasted. X

WateryWeather Wed 17-Jun-20 12:27:23

The Tommy's line is closed, but my GP responded. She said that, given that I'm not bleeding or in pain, we should take a wait and see approach until my next scan, and I need to tell my midwife about the surgery as it might mean that I need to be put under consultant rather than midwife care. Thank you everyone for your help x

Pippinsqueak Wed 17-Jun-20 12:35:49

I would try the EPU again and not just take the word of your GP.

Just to make sure.

How bad would you feel if you got to your scan/saw midwife and something happened that could have been prevented.

Not trying to scare you or make you feel guilty but if it was me I would be trying actual pregnancy units not just GP

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »