Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be disappointed that uncle won’t visit us and the kids now social bubbles possible?

(60 Posts)
britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:32:42

The kid’s uncle who lives on his own (aged 39 and healthy), won’t visit us and the kids cos he’s still extremely anxious about coronavirus. He sees us as a big risk to him. The children are craving family contact, and he’s just getting depressed and isolated on his own. AIBU to be annoyed?

OP’s posts: |
FreeFromDinoMeat Sat 13-Jun-20 20:33:35

Yes YABU. It's his choice if he wants to take the risk or not confused

ComDummings Sat 13-Jun-20 20:35:19

YABU, it’s up to him isn’t it. Not much you can do really 🤷🏻‍♀️

pandafunfactory Sat 13-Jun-20 20:38:29

That's a shame but nothing you can do

Fiddlersgreen Sat 13-Jun-20 20:38:42

Of course YABU, he’s totally his choice!
Shouldn’t you be more concerned than annoyed about his mental health if “he’s getting depressed”

Ohtherewearethen Sat 13-Jun-20 20:39:22

Just a quick heads up - the world doesn't revolve around you and your children and people can do what they feel is best.

OldEvilOwl Sat 13-Jun-20 20:39:48

YABU! It's his choice not yours

babychange12 Sat 13-Jun-20 20:40:17

Maybe he wants someone else in his bubble..

flamingochill Sat 13-Jun-20 20:40:29

Yabu

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:40:46

I’ve spoken to him daily since the beginning of this to try and maintain contact and keep him sane, so yes I am concerned. I thought some actual contact would help him with his loneliness.

Hugglespuffed Sat 13-Jun-20 20:40:50

Of course you are being unreasonable.. maybe you should try to help him rather than push him to do something he doesn't want to do. Many people are worried about tbe virus.

AnneLovesGilbert Sat 13-Jun-20 20:40:54

Pick someone else, surely?

He’s not there to entertain your children.

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:41:51

Ohtherewearethen

Just a quick heads up - the world doesn't revolve around you and your children and people can do what they feel is best.

Didn’t say it did. I thought it would be a mutually beneficial meet up.

Purpleartichoke Sat 13-Jun-20 20:44:45

Are you actually isolating? We’d love to meet up with family at this point, but we just can’t because we know they have been breaking lockdown rules all along.

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:45:09

Jeez, you’re a judgemental lot aren’t you. I don’t want entertainment, babysitting or anything else. Just want me and the kids to be able to speak to him face to face.
I have been trying to help him everyday but he rejects any steps towards anything positive.

Toilenstripes Sat 13-Jun-20 20:45:37

His health, his choice.

RandomMess Sat 13-Jun-20 20:47:20

Can you suggest outdoor meetings first, he may feel safer like that?

SirSamuelVimesBlackboardMonito Sat 13-Jun-20 20:48:48

I see your pov OP. Especially if you have bren making the effort to help him with loneliness through daily contact. Let me guess, it's mostly you contacting him? But now that he is able to do something to help himself, he won't.

Unless he wants to join up with someone else, which would be fine.

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:49:31

Yes I did that. He’s still uncomfortable with it.
Oh well seems the majority think I am being unreasonable, so that’s me told

Didntwanttochangemyname Sat 13-Jun-20 20:50:06

Have you suggested seeing him on your own? The prospect of seeing you all en masse might be a bit much after weeks of isolation.

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 20:51:18

I suggested he meet his friend first, but he is equally reluctant.
I wonder what help there is out there for people who are struggling to leave the house right now, even though they can

Jeremyironsnothing Sat 13-Jun-20 21:04:12

He doesn't need help. He wants to keep himself safe. It's his choice.

Ullupullu Sat 13-Jun-20 21:10:02

If he merges into your bubble that means he can't choose anyone else. Maybe he would rather see a friend or someone else.

britflick Sat 13-Jun-20 21:13:05

He doesn’t want to see anyone. He’s stuck in a flat with no garden, shopping delivered, rarely goes out.

heartsonacake Sat 13-Jun-20 21:13:31

YABU. He doesn’t require help, he needs you to respect his decisions and not try to cajole him.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »