Talk

Advanced search

Or am I just a complete wuss? Don't read this thread if you're squeamish!

(38 Posts)
kickassangel Sun 23-Sep-07 21:52:00

DON'T READ THIS THREAD IF YOU'RE FUNNY ABOUT TEETH & BLOOD!

there, hopefully you're fairly hardy if you have got this far.

OK, never had any fear of doctors, dentists, needles etc. As a kid had 6 teeth out one December (in 2 separate goes) so when I needed an emargency extraction, I really wasn't all that bothered, just thought thank goodness the constant toothache would go!

Went to hospital & after the injections I genuinely thought the worst was over - but how wrong was I?

Is it normal to have someone hold you down whilst the dentist pulls? The tooth split & the bits took ages to get out, then it was over 7 hours before the bleeding stopped. I was on pain killers & sleeping tablets for the next 48 hours! Alos had the worst smelly breath of my life, possibly because I could eat nothing.

So, am I being unreasonable to think this is quite an unusually bad experience? Is having teeth out just one of the (many) things which is worse once you're an adult? Or am I just little mis wuss of wussland who should grow up & toughen up?

Tottie32 Sun 23-Sep-07 21:53:20

oh no that sounds awful. you poor poor thing

how is the pain now?

PondusLector Sun 23-Sep-07 21:54:12

this is an unusually bad experience
my last root canal was so painles i fell asleep
you poor thing

woopsadaisy Sun 23-Sep-07 21:54:27

i always think to myself that nothing, nothing could be worse than childbirth

Ulysees Sun 23-Sep-07 21:54:33

sounds awful sad Could yo feel the pain when they pulled? Also seems you have an infection if it's smelly surely?

mindalina Sun 23-Sep-07 21:54:48

Well, you warned me twice, and I didn't pay any attention, and now I don't want to go to the dentist even more than before.

But, that really doesn't sound normal to me, not at all.

moondog Sun 23-Sep-07 21:54:57

Fuck me!!!! shock

fingerwoman Sun 23-Sep-07 21:56:22

that sounds pretty much the same as my last extraction.
the dentist did comment on how particularly hard it was to pull- big tooth etc etc.
wasn't pleasant

paolosgirl Sun 23-Sep-07 21:56:57

Why oh why did I read this???!!!!!!

You poor, poor thing sad - I hope you're feeling a bit better. I think (although I could very well be wrong) that sometimes the back teeth can be very stubborn, and can sometimes break if there is decay or previous dental work. It sounds as if you had a horrible time, and deserve a lot of tlc - not a wuss at all. You sound very brave to me - I have to have valium for a small filling blush

puffylovett Sun 23-Sep-07 21:57:34

my mum lives in fear of dentists as she had one kneeling on her chest trying to yank a tooth out. My sister had the same, a couple of years ago when taking out her wisdom tooth.

My wisdom tooth is partially fallen out. i've opted to wait till ds is weaned and then i'm having a general anaesthetic!

sounds all too common to me sad

fishie Sun 23-Sep-07 21:57:36

i had to have all four wisdom teeth out under ga aged 23. i have no idea what they did to me to get them out but i couldn't walk for a couple of days.

2shoes Sun 23-Sep-07 21:58:19

just read the op
a similar thing happend to me(there is still 1 !/2 years on tooth left in my gum)
i have had wisdom teeth out and it didn't cause me as much pain. I had to go to bed I was so shaken.
I changed dentist after as i had a extreme hatred of the poor man.

fishie Sun 23-Sep-07 21:58:25

oh shit. that doesn't read very well does it

fishie Sun 23-Sep-07 21:58:59

oops not you 2shoes, that sounds ghastly.

quickdrawmcgraw Sun 23-Sep-07 21:59:34

I had a tooth extraction a couple of weeks ago and it was awful. Yes I was held down to stop my head moving about and making it more difficult and yes is hurt like buggery and yes it seemed to take 10 hours for the bleeding to stop.
I think the amount of pain is to do with the position of the tooth because I'd had another wisdom tooth out a couple of weeks before that and it was a breeze.

If it was taken out recently keep rinsing with salt water because mine got infected! bleagh.

inzidoodle Sun 23-Sep-07 21:59:40

hi this is normal if the tooth has been weakened either by decay/infection/root treatment the tooth can crumble when force is placed on it, can be difficult if it crumbles below the gum line then have to remove individual bits

Mistymoo Sun 23-Sep-07 22:00:11

It does sound like an awful experience. I had a similar one when I had a wisdom tooth out. It was not too bad an extraction but I was in pain for 4 days, taking painkillers every 4 hours inc during the night (Yes I think I was ODing but it was sore). Apparently my blood did not clot and so I just had a huge gap in my gum which would not heal. It was such a relief when I got it packed.

A few months later I was feeling something sharp where the tooth had been removed. When I went to see what it was the dentist removed a shard of bone which had worked its way to the service.

So no YANBU and I send you my sympathies. Hope you are feeling better now.

fingerwoman Sun 23-Sep-07 22:01:55

don't rinse it too much with salt water though, because if you rinse too hard you might make the clot come out and then you'll end up with a dry socket which is the most agonising thing you will ever experience. trust me

Ellbell Sun 23-Sep-07 22:04:04

Ooh, loads of sympathy, kaa. I had a molar out two weeks ago. It was nowhere near as bad as what you describe, but not nice. The dentist didn't give me enough anaesthetic (or missed one bit of nerve, or something) and so the first time he tried to pull it it hurt like hell. I screamed. He told me not to be a baby (which was slightly fair enough as I am a wuss with dentists and was shaking like a leaf and whimpering slightly, but honestly this DID hurt...). Then he humphed about a bit and gave me another injection. But then when he pulled it out it was OK. I kept a cotton-wool pad on it for an hour or so but by then the bleeding had stopped. I did feel as if I'd been smacked in the jaw for a week or so afterwards, but it is basically back to normal again now.

About 5 years ago I had four more molars out (I have crap teeth) and the dentist I had then was fantastic. I felt nothing. He was wonderful. But we have moved house since then. (I can recommend a good dentist in Reading, though... smile).

YANBU... you had a bad time and I am sending you lots of sympathy.

Mistymoo Sun 23-Sep-07 22:04:12

Fingerwoman - I think that's what I did and yes the pain is one of the worst I've ever had.

fingerwoman Sun 23-Sep-07 22:06:06

vile isn't it? did you have to have your hole packed with that brown hairy stuff?

Mistymoo Sun 23-Sep-07 22:07:20

Yes I did and it had a strong smell to it too. It was such a relief though.

justbeme Sun 23-Sep-07 22:08:42

I beg your pardon fingerwoman!!! grin blush

Mistymoo Sun 23-Sep-07 22:10:55

Justbeme - it certainly brought a smile to my face and a lot of relief wink

moondog Sun 23-Sep-07 22:11:31

Wince at thought of one's hole being packed with brown hairy stuff-!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now