Talk

Advanced search

Fawlty Towers “Don’t mention the war” removed.

(444 Posts)
boredtotears11 Fri 12-Jun-20 08:55:23

Aibu to say I think that is a ridiculous decision by the BBC.Theyve removed it from its streaming service because of its “racist slurs”. It was a classic piece of comedy. I mean if they start picking apart old classic comedy how far are they going to go. Dads Army next?

OP’s posts: |
PicsInRed Fri 12-Jun-20 08:57:18

Do you think they'll now get to work on all their anti women material?

No?

Well that's a shocker.

SecondaryBurnzzz Fri 12-Jun-20 08:58:18

I believe that the episode actually contained some racist language, which is the reason it has been removed.

TheFaerieQueene Fri 12-Jun-20 08:59:22

Why haven’t they removed the episode with the Irish builder then as well? It played upon the old trope that Irish builders were incompetent conmen.

theonlywayisapple Fri 12-Jun-20 08:59:23

Censorship is happening and it’s scary

SecondaryBurnzzz Fri 12-Jun-20 09:01:18

See below

KurriKawari Fri 12-Jun-20 09:02:06

It's been removed because of the n word.

ItsGoingTibiaK Fri 12-Jun-20 09:02:16

@boredtotears11

Do you actually think it’s been removed because of references to the Second World War? You’re reference to Dad’s Army would suggest so.

ItsGoingTibiaK Fri 12-Jun-20 09:02:57

*Your

Polowithoutahole Fri 12-Jun-20 09:03:34

I had a feeling they were coming for Fawlty Towers next - I expect it's more to do with the racial slur used by the Major in one of the scenes. I've been watching the series fairly recently (bit of light humour in these troubled times) and always took that scene to show how out of touch and doddery the Major was, not that it was condoning the language he uses. But seems that makes no difference right now in the purge of old tv shows.

PicsInRed Fri 12-Jun-20 09:04:07

That episode should be removed, sure.

Will they now remove the episode which makes hilarity of stalking and sexual assault (the young Australian woman)?

If they're actually going to act, I'd like to see them also act against then normalisation of harassment and violence against women.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 12-Jun-20 09:05:41

Dambusters will be banned next because of the Dog. This is getting ridiculous now.

boredtotears11 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:06:21

We were at war with Germany and that is how that generation talked about them. The nazis not the people.Im afraid we are heading towards a humourless stark society and history will be whitewashed.

HunkyPunk Fri 12-Jun-20 09:07:43

I don't know what's technically possible, but couldn't they just have bleeped out the word or cut the scene?

boredtotears11 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:08:45

It’s only that one episode so yes it was to do with that ItsgoingTibiak.

HandsOffMyRights Fri 12-Jun-20 09:09:04

Meanwhile, drag is fine with the BBC, because woman is seen as a costume by men.

BubbleBoop Fri 12-Jun-20 09:09:41

Also heard gavin and Stacey will be reviewed due to references to Chinese Alan.

There will be nothing left soon

HunkyPunk Fri 12-Jun-20 09:10:10

*If it's to do with the language used by the Major, that is.

AnnaBanana333 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:10:32

boredtotears11

It’s only that one episode so yes it was to do with that ItsgoingTibiak.

No, it's because that's the only episode that uses the terms "n***ers" and "wogs."

Corna Fri 12-Jun-20 09:10:57

It contains repeated use of the n word which is a horrific word loaded with violent intent for those it is used against. It's got nothing to do with the German stuff.

ItsGoingTibiaK Fri 12-Jun-20 09:11:11

@boredtotears11

FFS, if you’re going to start ‘political correctness gone mad’ posts, at least understand what you’re talking about.

The removal has got nothing to do with nazis and how people talked about them. It’s because one of the characters talks about West Indian people using the words ‘wogs’ and ‘n***gers’.

Look at @SecondaryBurnzzz image.

Roselilly36 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:11:54

It is getting totally out stupid I agree, I expect fools & horses will be next!

MindyStClaire Fri 12-Jun-20 09:12:03

DH, was just talking about this - I don't think it was removed because of the "don't mention the war" bits, but because of some truly disgusting slurs used to describe a West Indies cricket team. See the tweet someone else has posted above.

Cat2014 Fri 12-Jun-20 09:12:44

Absolutely agree they should remove that scene, but no need to remove the whole episode

Piggywaspushed Fri 12-Jun-20 09:13:10

Pretty sure Dambusters has been edited to change the name of the dog as it goes...
There is an edited version of the FT episode, so I think it will reappear in that form. I remember seeing the unedited episode and being shocked so at some point both have existed.

A few commentators are saying today that people are tinkering around the edges now , not really knowing how to respond to the bigger issues of BLM.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »