Advanced search

Support Bubble Trouble!

(12 Posts)
MumPo71 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:29:42

My daughter has joint custody of her 2 boys. Her Ex has them 50% of the time. Both want to become part of a support bubble as both live on their own with the children and have found it hard. Both work - mostly all from home. My understanding is that they both cannot join a 'support bubble' with the boys because that means the children would be in 2. Is that how you would interpret the rules? Any advice?

OP’s posts: |
NuffSaidSam Thu 11-Jun-20 19:39:12

I think any single adult can form a support bubble regardless of children, so they should both be able to form a bubble with one other household.

Unless, obviously anyone is shielding/high risk.

Onekidnoclue Thu 11-Jun-20 19:42:36

Christ. Nightmare. I’m sorry but I think they count as a single household for the rules.
In all honesty in this set up I’d ignore the rules and each form a bubble.

Bibijayne Thu 11-Jun-20 19:43:50

If the children are under 18, they do not count toward the bubble. They can both form bubbles with the children as single people.

Waveysnail Thu 11-Jun-20 19:47:13

I would form a bubble for each household. It's about being sensible and everyone looking after their mental health too

MumPo71 Thu 11-Jun-20 22:45:28

Thanks. Good advice. They are trying to do the right thing!

OP’s posts: |
TriciaH Thu 11-Jun-20 23:41:37

Both are adults living alone half the time both single parents. I see no reason why they can't neither is breaking any rules.

SunshineLollipopsRainbow Fri 12-Jun-20 00:50:52

Further guidance goes into detail on this scenario. Both parents can form a bubble so children may be part of two bubbles.

Chloemol Fri 12-Jun-20 01:19:42

From the website

If you share custody of your child with someone you do not live with
Children with separated parents are already permitted to move between both households and there is no change to that. From 13 June, it will also be permitted for those households – if there is only a single adult in them – to form a support bubble with another household

Adoptthisdogornot Fri 12-Jun-20 01:21:42

No advice, but the more often I hear/read the word bubble, the less real and more absurd it seems!

RainbowMum11 Fri 12-Jun-20 01:24:51

I am in exactly this position but it is very clear that divorced/separated single parents still count as individual bubbles - I double checked it!
I would post a pic of the government guidance but I don't know how to.

DamitJanet Fri 12-Jun-20 06:25:53

If they are both single adult households they can each form a bubble, so the kids would be members of two different households plus two ‘bubbled households’. The government guidance explains that this is permitted. It’s up to the parents judgement whether they feel this is appropriate or not though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »