Talk

Advanced search

Worried about this weekend

(29 Posts)
hm246 Thu 11-Jun-20 16:59:23

I'm actually very worried about what will happen in this country this weekend. All I have seen over social media is far right wing nationalist gearing up to 'defend' statues. While I support the BLM movement I do think many of those attending are only attending to cause trouble. I just think the clashes are going to be awful. I am just very worried for the real BLM protesters and the police.

OP’s posts: |
hm246 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:01:23

And I haven't even mentioned the COVID19 risks

TheRealShatParp Thu 11-Jun-20 17:05:12

I disagree that ‘many’ attending only have the intention to cause trouble. I think it’s a minority.

MadameMarie Thu 11-Jun-20 17:12:59

I said it last weekend, the issue we have now is boredom. Bored youth with nothing to do for 3 months and it's leading to social disorder and even psychosis (purging TV and film, destroying statues).

I wouldn't be surprised if the mob break into libraries and burn books this weekend.

Until the pubs and gyms are back open properly and people can go back to the football then they'll channel their energies elsewhere.

Brawsome Thu 11-Jun-20 17:15:21

Which country are we worried about this weekend?

rosie1959 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:16:51

Surely there is not another protest this weekend

MadameMarie Thu 11-Jun-20 17:18:41

I am just very worried for the real BLM protesters and the police.

I'm worried for the police who have to risk their lives to police protests during a pandemic because people have nothing better to do on a weekend because everything is shut. It's nothing to do with George Floyd now, there was protests about that the last two weekends. Anyone out on the streets this weekend to protest, whatever their politics, shouldn't be. Stay at home.

GhostofFrankGrimes Thu 11-Jun-20 17:24:59

People should not be bullied by the far right.

MadameMarie Thu 11-Jun-20 17:33:33

GhostofFrankGrimes

People should not be bullied by the far right.

People should not be out in big groups this weekend regardless of their politics.

Sadly, I think this is going to be a theme now and will go on every weekend until things are back to normal with gyms, pubs, cafes, shops etc. A lot of bored young (or older) people full of pent up angst after 3 months indoors and heading into the height of summer.

The government feared shutting things down would cause civil disorder and we were never meant to be shutting down for 3 months. Well justified widespread anger over a murder in America is one thing but purging statues, films and sitcoms weeks later and still taking to the streets has gone well behind that now and the Right will fight back.

The lack of leadership from the government is another thing adding to the perfect storm. There's potential for riots, or even a race war on the streets. The Right won't allow the scenes from last weekend to go unchallenged again, especially as the police were basically bereft.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild Thu 11-Jun-20 17:47:42

I have, in my time, been on many a protest

Yes there will likely be troublemakers but the majority of BLM will march peacefully and return home , as I did on marches and protests .
It is worrying though OP so YANBU

amijustparanoidorjuststoned Thu 11-Jun-20 17:48:50

@rosie1959 protests will keep happening until justice is served and we see a change in civil rights for black people.

WhentheRabbitsWentWild Thu 11-Jun-20 17:49:22

Not the Far Right who were bulling last week though was it . Ghost of Frank Grimes
No, it was your usual rent a mob of scum .
They break into EVERY cause for their own greedy grubby interests .
I support BLM I don't support middle class ANTIFA

Titsywoo Thu 11-Jun-20 17:50:08

amijustparanoidorjuststoned

*@rosie1959* protests will keep happening until justice is served and we see a change in civil rights for black people.

Justice served to who? What civil rights need changing?

Fosler Thu 11-Jun-20 17:52:36

I don't think anyone wanting to protect statues has any intention of causing trouble! No rabble has the right to remove any statue. If the police won't protect them then the people will.

Any statue that is considered questionable must have its destiny decided by the people who live in the town/city that holds it. Otherwise we no longer have a democracy.

rosie1959 Thu 11-Jun-20 17:53:19

amijustparanoidorjuststoned

*@rosie1959* protests will keep happening until justice is served and we see a change in civil rights for black people.

Civil right laws are I presume the same for any citizens
Also justice served on who .

simonisnotme Thu 11-Jun-20 17:56:45

why does 'being bored' give them a right to protest/riot cause trouble??

MadameMarie Thu 11-Jun-20 18:04:49

Fosler

I don't think anyone wanting to protect statues has any intention of causing trouble! No rabble has the right to remove any statue. If the police won't protect them then the people will.

Any statue that is considered questionable must have its destiny decided by the people who live in the town/city that holds it. Otherwise we no longer have a democracy.

The woke virus purging TV and film; statues being ripped down; Churchill statue defaced; centoaph attacked.

It's as if Corbyn won, but it's the left trying to attempt a coup because they lost again at the ballot box.

Time Boris Johnson showed some leadership and stopped encouraging the mob to up the ante.

FOJN Thu 11-Jun-20 18:13:14

I don't support middle class ANTIFA

Yes, these are the agitators, they don't give a shit about BLM and are quite likely to harm the movement.

They have claimed several city blocks in Seattle and are now calling for armed activists to protect it. They are anarchists not protestors.

FOJN Thu 11-Jun-20 18:15:14

Quite honestly ANTIFA and the far right love a fight and they're not bothered who gets hurt. I would not be going anywhere near a protest March this weekend.

CherrySpritz Thu 11-Jun-20 18:16:41

It's as if Corbyn won, but it's the left trying to attempt a coup because they lost again at the ballot box.

The left can’t get over the fact that they lost both the Brexit vote and the general election. They have always been sore losers. They shriek about democracy but only want it when they are getting their own way. If they can subvert the democratic process to fulfil their own agenda they will go to any lengths to do so.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 11-Jun-20 18:19:59

While I support the BLM movement I do think many of those attending are only attending to cause trouble.

How many do you think are there to cause trouble? 75%? 50%? 1%?confused

MadameMarie Thu 11-Jun-20 18:29:40

DioneTheDiabolist

*While I support the BLM movement I do think many of those attending are only attending to cause trouble.*

How many do you think are there to cause trouble? 75%? 50%? 1%?confused

The majority of protesters now (weeks later) are just bored mostly younger people wanting to get out the house and express themselves.

hm246 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:11:22

*Quite honestly ANTIFA and the far right love a fight and they're not bothered who gets hurt—- yes I agree *@FOJN

BLM movement is going to suffer greatly due to this.

I just hope no more police get hurt. I just think we are going to witness some horrible scenes over the coming weekend.

mbosnz Thu 11-Jun-20 19:16:04

I don't think anyone wanting to protect statues has any intention of causing trouble!

I think the far right smell a justification to get on in there and have a stoush that will play to white middle class conservatives.

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 11-Jun-20 20:02:01

I think the recent threads on Mnet show that middle class conservatives are much closer to the far right than they care to admit.hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »