Talk

Advanced search

To freak out about lubricant

(53 Posts)
Anxietyandme Thu 11-Jun-20 07:21:19

Husband and I are TTC. In the moment we stupidly reached for lubricant. I am pretty sure I am pregnant now (too early to test) and am freaking out as the lubricant contains parabens. I have spent the last three days reading scientific papers and have convinced myself it has caused DNA damage, and will either cause miscarriage or my baby will suffer from a genetic condition, or be at higher risk of autism or even childhood cancer. I have lost sleep, and am now really hoping I am not pregnant as I don't think I could go through with it. I am seeking help for anxiety, but would love some thoughts in the meantime.

OP’s posts: |
Pinkblueberry Thu 11-Jun-20 10:07:06

I'm only saying that to prevent you from worrying your way through a pregnancy.

The only way to prevent that is for the OP to seek some professional help with her anxiety. I think worrying to this extent before a child is even conceived about something that that the vast majority of people rightfully wouldn’t have given a second thought about is pretty extreme. As a pp said, the anxiety itself is more cause for worry than many perceived risks. I don’t think OP is in the right place mentally to be pregnant or have another baby at this point in time, I think it would be quite detrimental for her mental health. If using lube is causing this amount of worry how will she cope with all the other aspects of pregnancy that generally cause all women, even those who don’t have any kind of anxiety, a certain degree of worry?

Anxietyandme Thu 11-Jun-20 10:23:58

Thanks all. I'm going to try to redirect my worries towards the anxiety itself and not the parabens and focus on sorting that out. I had a few sessions of therapy before lockdown but at the time anxiety episodes were quite rare and short lived so I almost felt as if I was wasting the therapist's time.
Clearly this has all triggered me and I have been increasingly struggling for a couple of weeks. I registered for online CBT and should hear back shortly. If anyone has tips on what helped them do let me know.

OP’s posts: |
EngagedAgain Thu 11-Jun-20 10:38:16

Pink - yes I agree, I just stuck to the issue in hand as other pp's had already covered the subject in a broader sense. My advice would be it would be wise of OP to delay ttc because of this and covid.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in