Talk

Advanced search

To be so proud?

(21 Posts)
Rainbow12e Wed 10-Jun-20 21:11:31

Of my daughter who is in her twenties and who absolutely shut down all the racist and nasty comments about the BLM protests on her instagram page?
I am so proud of the eloquent and amazing post she left on her Instagram, putting everyone in their place who dared to challenge the black lives matter movement. Feeling very proud at raising a daughter who created such an intelligent post and making anyone against these protests rethink their prejudices.

OP’s posts: |
Terralee Wed 10-Jun-20 22:13:25

Yanbu. I've tried defending BLM with some ignorant Facebook friends but I don't feel articulate enough to do a good enough job as I just get mansplained or ignored.

Smileyaxolotl1 Wed 10-Jun-20 23:00:11

It depends who she was arguing with really.
People who say that racism doesn’t exist or Floyd deserved it - fair enough.

But if she was calling people racist just because they questioned the logic/legality of thousands of people gathering closely together in public during a pandemic (obviously it depends where you live as I appreciate some areas held socially distanced marches) then ‘putting people in their place’ for voicing perfectly legitimate concerns is unreasonable.

Smileyaxolotl1 Wed 10-Jun-20 23:01:24

The fact that you mention the protests rather than the movement rather suggests it was the latter.....

CloudyVanilla Wed 10-Jun-20 23:02:27

Good for her OP flowers

No to "but ALL lives matter"
No to victim blaming

Thisismytimetoshine Wed 10-Jun-20 23:04:10

You're conflating the movement and the protests. I imagine she is too. Possibly not so amazing...

Euclid Wed 10-Jun-20 23:07:10

A black friend of mine posted a sad piece on SM saying words to the effect, "Hey brothers, if black lives matter so much, why do we keep killing each other?"
In this country far more young black people have been killed by other young black people than by the Police.

OscarWildesCat Wed 10-Jun-20 23:10:59

Depends on what was said and to whom otherwise it’s difficult to say 🤷🏼‍♀️

UnaCorda Wed 10-Jun-20 23:22:17

Are you going to tell us what she said that was so intelligent, eloquent and amazing? Bit hard to know whether YABU otherwise.

Rainbow12e Wed 10-Jun-20 23:28:19

I can't write it all out as it was a big piece but she put everything across so eloquently.
Basically saying that the protests had to go ahead as racism does not wait. That we should really be looking at why people protested and that many of them did not want to come out into a huge crowd to protest but had to because they were not being listened to.That it is not a question of disagreeing with her views but that anyone who does not agree has a morality issue.
For all those disagreeing with the statue coming down, did they know the history on it and how insulting it was for BAME people to see it day after day. Their earlier requests for it to be taken down not listened to. She has done all her research and I am just so proud of how she came across. Nice to still have proud mum moments when your kids are grown.

Thisismytimetoshine Wed 10-Jun-20 23:38:05

I'm not getting amazing, intelligent or eloquent there, sorry.

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 10-Jun-20 23:56:21

That it is not a question of disagreeing with her views but that anyone who does not agree has a morality issue.

Is she trying to get people to change their minds?

2007Millie Thu 11-Jun-20 00:01:26

Oh for gods sake, just let the OP be proud of her daughter.

OP, ignore the negativity and generally looking for faults on here.

CoffeeRunner Thu 11-Jun-20 00:05:46

Be proud of your DD of course.

DS1 won’t even engage with “all lives matters” or such things. He has ASD. He says he doesn’t know how to educate stupid.

Grandmi Thu 11-Jun-20 00:11:04

My daughter definitely feels as strongly as your ...just be proud that we have children who actually think about racism,has a conscience and want /try to change how the world treats certain minorities...I do not agree with the vandalism etc though .

Grandmi Thu 11-Jun-20 00:15:07

Agree with coffeerunner son !! You cannot argue with stupid!

Slothsarecreepy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:49:36

Several BAME community leaders urged people in Bristol not to attend the protests due to the CV and how it adversely impacts BAME communities. She had an opinion and it seems that she shared it eloquently, doesn't mean that she's 'amazing' or that there's an alternative pov though.

Slothsarecreepy Thu 11-Jun-20 07:51:40

That there's NOT an alternative pov. I'm pretty sure those community leaders would argue with her views on their 'morality'🙄

TheoneandObi Thu 11-Jun-20 08:00:38

This whole period has brought some very nasty people out of the woodwork I've found. 'Friends' whose views are along the lines of 'there's not a racist bone in my body, but....' which to me says it all. Except that I struggle to articulate to them why they're so very wrong

Rainbow12e Thu 11-Jun-20 08:36:38

DD has been shocked at how many racist 'friends ' she has and has done a cull. Good, no place for racism in our society. She took a stand and I could not be prouder.

1940s Thu 11-Jun-20 09:21:21

@Euclid raises a point regarding black on black crime. This is an effect of systemic racism. (Not the single cause obviously for every black on black crime!)

Which (to crudely summarise in a sentence or two) has contributed to broken homes, lower income and therefore crime. Crime leads to black on black violence in some neighbourhoods. People benefitting from white privilege should realise the complexity of ''gang culture''

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »