Talk

Advanced search

DD Shaved Her Head

(438 Posts)
CrazyLady82 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:48:35

More of a wwyd.

My DD18 has just called me and told me she has shaved her head. DD already had short hair.

DD reasons were that her hair was damaged from all the coloring and she didn't like the color it was.

I am sitting here trying not to loose my mind. I am currently 25 weeks pregnant with DD2 and am thinking part of my reaction is pregnancy hormones. After telling DD I wasn't happy with the choice, but it was her choice I hung up the phone. I have been crying and silent screaming for 10 minutes.

I don't want to say anything to bad to her. I know that it is her choice.

Could someone help give me a reality check that shaving her head isn't that bad? I need to get a grip as it is her life.

OP’s posts: |
chunkyrun Tue 09-Jun-20 17:49:07

Just hair it'll grow

MustGetOutofBed Tue 09-Jun-20 17:49:59

She's an adult, it'll grow back.

DollyPomPoms Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:02

She’s 18.

Macncheeseballs Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:09

Shaved hair is quite cool

Mistystar99 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:16

Having kids 18 years apart is far more radical than shaving your hair!!

QuentinQuarantino Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:27

She's an adult.

Give yer head a wobble.

Butterer Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:46

^^ Yep. Took 18 months from buzz cut back to shoulder length here.

GeriGeranium Tue 09-Jun-20 17:50:59

I honestly have no idea why it bothers you at all. What’s the issue?

If I told my mum I’d shaved my head (even at that age) she’d have been nice about it to my face, thought it looked ugly privately, but ultimately not cared much either way.

It will grow back.

Biancadelrioisback Tue 09-Jun-20 17:51:33

Silently screaming?? At a shaved head?

SquashedSpring Tue 09-Jun-20 17:51:34

I shaved my head when I was a teen. My mum cried. Then I grew it back. I've had hair ever since. It really isn't that bad.

2000lightyearsaway123 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:51:41

There's nothing wrong with shaving her head. If she's happy with it then it's just a practical style choice isn't it? It'll grow back.

ShowOfHands Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:00

My 13yo dd shaves her head. Her 16yo friend does too. Neither I nor dd's friend's mother screams or cries about it.

What's the problem?

mindutopia Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:03

It's really not a big deal. It's a temporary choice and will be growing back in a few week's time. I'm assuming at the moment you probably won't really even be seeing each other much (I assume if she called to tell you this that you don't live together?). My mum shaved her head when she started chemo. She looked like a man, but no what? I didn't want her to die from cancer, but I didn't give two hoots about her hair. It grows back.

Thunderpunt Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:23

It's really not a big deal, firstly it will grow back, and secondly it sounds like it was in pretty bad condition so maybe she has done the best thing.

Honestly OP there are worse things she could have done, it's fine reallythankscake

SquashedSpring Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:29

I shaved mine at the sides though and had a strip of hair down the middle. I don't know if that makes it better or worse?

Wheresthebiffer2 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:36

If she had mental health problems, and did it in a self-harming sort of way, then I'd be really concerned. But it doesn't sound like that at all. More of a practical need sort of thing. Try and see the funny side, and it probably does look cool on her.

Yesmate Tue 09-Jun-20 17:52:53

You have been crying for 10 minutes because she shaved head. Jesus.

VeryQuaintIrene Tue 09-Jun-20 17:53:02

My friend's daughter made over two thousand pounds on a sponsored headshave last week, so it's completely in fashion and I think you are being seriously OTT.

Nanalisa60 Tue 09-Jun-20 17:53:45

It will grow back , it’s not the end of the world.

edwinbear Tue 09-Jun-20 17:53:49

It'll grow back OP! I virtually shaved DC's 10 yr old at the start of lockdown, it's hanging in his eyes again now! You sound very stressed, try not to worry, you'll all laugh about it in a year's time.

Destroyedpeople Tue 09-Jun-20 17:54:22

'Crying and screaming' why?

Heismyopendoor Tue 09-Jun-20 17:54:26

I think you need to calm down a little. In fact, a bit!

She’s 18, not a child. And it’s hair. Hair. Hair that grows back and can be changed and coloured at the drop of a hat.

It’s not your hair. Calm down and go and apologise to your daughter.

edwinbear Tue 09-Jun-20 17:54:30

DC's 10 year old head

Sparklesocks Tue 09-Jun-20 17:54:37

Experimenting with your hair when you’re young is a great way to play with your image without any permanent changes - it’s safe and easy, it’ll grow back. It’s not like she’s experimenting with facial tattoos or plastic surgery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »