Talk

Advanced search

AIBU: Property Buying

(4 Posts)
PurBal Tue 09-Jun-20 11:38:42

We've been renting for a little while and in January decided to buy our property from our landlord. In mid February we instructed a solicitor (though we didn't pay our deposit until a couple of weeks later as we were on holiday).

They've been really poor at communicating, never receiving an update unless we ask (sometimes more than once). Lockdown started, our solicitor was furloughed and it was passed to someone else. We have been accommodating about coronavirus but I do wonder if they have furloughed too many staff, but that's their choice. Our landlord tells us a draft contract was sent from their solicitor 3 weeks ago (I can only assume this is try) but has not been returned so I do feel they're being particularly slow.

AIBU to expect completion for what appears to be a straightforward sale (no chain, no one needs to physically move) within 4-4.5 months? The solicitor has said this is an unreasonable expectation.

OP’s posts: |
Treacletoots Tue 09-Jun-20 11:42:38

This is ridiculous, bit sadly very commonplace.

Find another conveyancer. A straightforward purchase like this is possible within a month, provided mortgages are in place and searches don't take forever.

Your 'solicitor' is either overloaded, lazy or can't be arsed, neither of which is a great combination.

I used myhomemove recently (landlord remortgage) and also another solicitor for our new home purchase, both of whome were spot on, responsive and reasonably priced. PM me if you want details.

ThePants999 Tue 09-Jun-20 11:47:45

Agree with Treacletoots. If a solicitor actually said to me that expecting completion faster than 4.5 months was "unreasonable", they'd lose my business immediately.

COVID is no excuse for solicitors. The only reason they had to furlough anyone was reduced workload, so if they can't keep up with the workload they currently have, then like you say, they furloughed too many people - their own mistake.

Mildura Tue 09-Jun-20 11:54:04

Agreed, that's pretty poor. I'd be getting in touch to discuss and letting them know that your less than satisfied so far.

myhomemove

Reviews appear to be mixed, to say the least. Formerly knows as Premier Property Lawyers I believe, whio did not have the greatest reputation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »