Talk

Advanced search

How are your children’s school handling playtimes?

(16 Posts)
FairlowWonder Tue 09-Jun-20 10:34:00

My children’s school have got them sitting in hoops (as in the type you hula around your waist with) pegged into the grass on a field.

I feel this is a bit ott. Not so bad for the older girls who like to sit and chat (some of the time) but I feel it’s too much for the year ones who need to run around and play. I’m just wondering what’s happening in other schools.

OP’s posts: |
mogtheexcellent Tue 09-Jun-20 10:49:25

School only doing extended morning or afternoon sessions to avoid this.

LouiseHumphreys81 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:51:42

Staggered playtime, minimal social distancing in their class bubble, and some playing in the space outside their classrooms rather than in the big playground.

myself2020 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:53:53

Ours are doing stuff like bubbles (a lot of bubbles), races, hoops (one per child, but they are moving), keepsy uppy competitions. kids know to not share equipment if possible, but the world doesn’t end if they accidentally do.

Vanillaradio Tue 09-Jun-20 10:54:01

Nothing like this, staggered playtimes with their bubble only. Ds was playing football yesterday so don't think there's a lot of social distancing going on within the bubble.

Scarby9 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:55:05

School local to me is lucky to have a field, and that each classroom has a fire door to the outside. Each bubble has a coned off strip of field opening directly from their exit. Each bubble has been assigned play equipment which individuals can choose to use for a day eg. Skipping rope, can stilts, jump ball, which promote activity but distance. Seems to be working so far.

raspberryk Tue 09-Jun-20 10:57:57

I wouldn't have sent my child back to school where playtime was sat in a hoop of I could avoid it at all.
I asked how strict social distancing was for ours and they're practically no social distancing outdoors at playtime within their bubbles. They're in seperate sections of playground from other bubbles and times are staggered. Even indoors they're only asked not to crowd the tables e.g. no more than 3 to the maths or English table.
The focus is hygiene at my kids school not distance.

Covert20 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:59:55

Ours haven’t gone back - the county council has advised against it

myself2020 Tue 09-Jun-20 11:00:24

@raspberryk same for ours. they are asked to not share equipment if possible, but that’s it. bubbles have different bits of the field, and staggered playtimes

AnnPerkins Tue 09-Jun-20 11:04:37

DS is Y6 and went back yesterday for the first time. They go out onto the field in their groups. DS said their section of the field is on a slope so they had a lot of fun mucking about and rolling down the slope.

It's a middle school, though, so apart from keyworkers' children who are kept separate, they are the only children in a school that usually has 950. There's a lot of outdoor space to play with.

NeilTheBaby Tue 09-Jun-20 11:10:05

That's nuts!
The school I work at and the one my dd attends have implemented the same strategy. Field/ playground divided into sections with 2m between sections. Bubbles allocated a section during 1 of 2 time slots.
We are lucky to have a huge field so each bubble has ample space to run around, play football etc.

Tearingmyhairout0110 Tue 09-Jun-20 11:23:13

That's bonkers.

Ours is playtime as usual but just limited within their bubbles.

edwinbear Tue 09-Jun-20 11:41:54

Ours are in bubbles, but at break times, they are playing full on, contact football within those bubbles confused. I guess school have just accepted if one child has it, they will all get it anyway.

FairlowWonder Tue 09-Jun-20 12:32:48

I’m wondering if school will relax this a bit. It’s only the first week back there, so maybe they might realise this is unworkable.

OP’s posts: |
IndecentFeminist Tue 09-Jun-20 12:39:54

Staggered break times with each bubble having own time. Free play within the bubbles, no real expectation of social distancing

JudithGrimes Tue 09-Jun-20 12:44:25

@FairlowWonder your school sounds very ott

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »