Talk

Advanced search

What to do about window cleaner

(86 Posts)
GlummyMcGlummerson Tue 09-Jun-20 09:34:55

Had a card through my door advertising window cleaning by "Steve". Been looking for a window cleaner for a while and thought great! I text the number to ask for a price explaining I'm in a 3-bed semi with 10 windows in total etc. He replied to say he'll "come round tonight at 8pm to have a look" confused. I said "sorry what do you mean" - he wants to come inside the house to check the layout! A window cleaner!! I've said no and I'll just leave it. I'm a single mum with 2 kids, I don't let anyone in the house unless they're family or friends.

WWYD - this is dodgy right? And not normal? Do I report him?!

OP’s posts: |
GlummyMcGlummerson Wed 10-Jun-20 18:52:03

Thanks all. I'm gonna ask around the neighbours and see if they've been in touch with him.

OP’s posts: |
Potionqueen Wed 10-Jun-20 11:46:13

Ours is a very professional window cleaning company. They did the first wash free so you could see if you where happy with the work. £13 a month for a large 4 bed detached with huge windows.
We pay by bank transfer.
It’s very dodgy for a window cleaner to want to come inside to give a quote imo.

Likefootball Wed 10-Jun-20 11:23:14

I have never known a window cleaner to need to come inside the house.
Sounds as though he wants to see inside before giving you a price so he can get an idea how much you can afford to pay.
Tell him you are no longer interested and find somebody else.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Wed 10-Jun-20 11:10:52

a "we called today but you weren't in" bit to leave to basically prove he's been round and washed the windows and will be back to collect the cash.

Surely that only proves that he's been round and left his little scrap of paper, doesn't it?!

FeelinFagin Wed 10-Jun-20 10:33:51

@WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll yep. It's literally a cut piece of paper so not even a business card. It's got a clip art window cleaner pic, a few things he does (gutter cleaning etc) underneath the pic and a "we called today but you weren't in" bit to leave to basically prove he's been round and washed the windows and will be back to collect the cash.

Totes legit, right? hmmgrin

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Wed 10-Jun-20 10:14:42

he didn't even have any name, personal or business, or a telephone number on his card!

What?!?!?! So he went to the trouble of getting business cards made up and all they say is 'Window Cleaner' (and possibly a town name)?!

That's not a business card - that's a flash card for teaching new words to tiny children!!!

FeelinFagin Wed 10-Jun-20 08:55:01

And OP, are you sure your window cleaner didn't mean he needed in the back garden to see the back? And not in the house itself? If you're sure he meant house, I would perhaps ask the neighbours who they use instead.

FeelinFagin Wed 10-Jun-20 08:52:51

Our window cleaner is from a well known local family and they're not known for anything good. At first I used to wonder if he was actually cleaning or casing. Turns out he was above board. Sort of. I highly doubt he declared a single penny of his income as he didn't even have any name, personal or business, or a telephone number on his card! He randomly stopped coming last summer.

A few weeks ago, almost a year after I'd last seen a window cleaner, two young dodgy looking lads came round and just started washing my windows. I let them finish and went to pay them what I paid their predecessor but it was now more money. I still paid but told them I didn't need a window cleaner for the moment (I'd got used to doing it myself after mine quit coming round) but would be happy to take their number and call them when I wanted my windows done again. He argued that it was "only once a month" and acted like I was being unreasonable with him. I simply reiterated, "it's fine, we're struggling for money right now and can't afford extras but give me your number and I'll give you a shout when I need them cleaning again"

Neither of the boys owned a mobile apparently. Suuuure. Nowt dodgy there.

Ifailed Wed 10-Jun-20 08:19:04

I've window cleaned in the past in the SE, some customers want the insides done, but to be honest it's a PITA having to move ornaments, nets, blinds etc, it's not something you'd want to do often.
As to cost, assuming you are working as a pair, I would expect to earn around £17 per hour, that includes travel time. A typical 3 bed without conservatory was about £12, a small conservatory would add about £4. Biggest job was £100 for a massive place in country, it would take a pair about 2.5 hours, plus another 40 mins of travel.
Expenses included diesel etc for van, insurance, resin for the water used by poles and a small amount on cloths, Fairy etc. The owner of the company also took a cut, a decent round would sell for about £150,000.

Weebitawks Wed 10-Jun-20 08:00:56

I'm a 3 bed semi and lay £10. My parents are a 4 bed detached and pay £12

Weebitawks Wed 10-Jun-20 07:59:48

Yeah we had a new window cleaner. He just needed to come and have a look outside when we weren't even home to give us a quote.

You did the right thing.

Gunpowder Wed 10-Jun-20 07:53:09

Yes! WeBuiltThisBuffet I thought it seemed a bit steep but on reading this thread it seems loads.

DuckALaurent Wed 10-Jun-20 07:45:05

Wow well dodgy @GlummyMcGlummerson!
Tell him no thanks.

My window cleaner has never been in my house and I wouldn’t let him either. He only does the front due to access. £5 for a mid terrace.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll Wed 10-Jun-20 07:39:57

Our window cleaner is £30! (4 bed semi) This seems excessive given this thread.

Wow - £30 for him to clean some of your windows?!

Gunpowder Wed 10-Jun-20 05:08:48

Our window cleaner is £30! (4 bed semi) This seems excessive given this thread. Aargh I was going to change him pre corona as he can’t reach the second floor windows at the back but feel a bit guilty doing that now. Aargh.

timeisnotaline Wed 10-Jun-20 04:53:53

I don’t think window cleaners are paid more. I struggled to get a cleaner who would do 3 hours, they wanted 4 or 5. Window cleaners take up to an hour maybe and then aren’t being paid as they go to their next gig.

TreeTopTim Wed 10-Jun-20 04:49:25

Sounds dodgy, like he is using this as a front to get inside houses. There is no need for a window cleaner to be inside your house.

Euclid Wed 10-Jun-20 02:29:13

Surely people can't come inside your house at the moment.
Some window cleaners also clean the inside of the windows, so perhaps this is what Steve thought. However, even if you wanted the insides cleaned, I would not let a window cleaner or any other tradesman inside my home unless he was highly recommended by neighbours. Any dodgy person can have a card printed with a mobile number that is untraceable. Bring back the days when workmen had landlines!

TwoShades1 Wed 10-Jun-20 02:17:06

If he wanted to look from the outside then fair enough. He probably wants to see the number/size of windows and if there are any issues with access or reaching some windows. I can’t see why he needs to be inside unless you want the insides cleaning too?

2bazookas Wed 10-Jun-20 00:50:57

window and door security

2bazookas Wed 10-Jun-20 00:50:13

contact local police asap.

He's using windowcleaning advert as a very feeble scam to get inside houses and see what they've got to steal who lives there, is there a dog, and what the window and door is like.

Do NOT let him in.

Lollypop4 Wed 10-Jun-20 00:17:07

Ours is £10 for 9 windows, 3 doors.
Ours does need to come through house as we are terraced but, the quote was based on how many windows and doors i told him

NewtonPulsifer Wed 10-Jun-20 00:05:28

My window cleaner is a woman. She also does gutter, fascia and soffits cleaning as well as clearing guttering.

When she quotes, she does it via satellite software that allows her to measure the approx amount of windows and guttering so she doesn’t even need to visit new clients to quote.

As others have said, coming inside to look at windows is bizarre.

ASandwichNamedKevin Tue 09-Jun-20 22:24:47

@WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll
As somebody who has neither (couldn't afford them - not because I morally object to them), and has only casually observed window cleaners working on neighbouring and relative's houses, I'm just amazed that their job is seen as significantly more important or difficult than that of a cleaner (who routinely does a far wider variety of tasks) to the extent that they deserve a significantly higher hourly rate.

I suppose the danger I see with the window cleaner is the risk of falling off a ladder.
I guess a cleaner inside a house could be at risk of falling or tripping over things or using chemicals.
I don't think my window cleaner's hourly rate is much more, he charges £15 though is probably here less than an hour, the inside cleaners charge £14 per hour.
I'm not in London, though friends there reportedly pay slightly lower rates for house cleaners.
I think the window cleaner is less important in the scheme of things as it's only the outside of the house! The house cleaner needs more varied skills.

I agree with your point about lower paid jobs being more likely to be carried out by women but don't know what the solution is.

Mytimetogo Tue 09-Jun-20 21:34:45

Out of interest, what's the going rate for a wondow cleaner, per window/full glass door? I was a bit surprised when I had the quote for ours today! He didn't come in BTW, just walked around the house.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in