Talk

Advanced search

To feel emotional at the slave trader statue

(1000 Posts)
Millicent10 Sun 07-Jun-20 16:58:06

being pulled down earlier.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52954305

This says so much and the symbolism of throwing it in the river is such a suitable ending. Reminds everyone what happened to so many slaves.

OP’s posts: |
justanotherneighinparadise Sun 07-Jun-20 17:00:33

Let’s hope they can retrieve it and melt it down or someone else will have that out and make themselves some money.

GenerateUsername Sun 07-Jun-20 17:01:05

I'm gobsmacked that the statue was even still standing in the first place!

Being pulled down is the least of what have been done to it.

Dollywilde Sun 07-Jun-20 17:02:03

I was at Bristol uni a decade ago and we were writing about needing to take that thing down then. I’m generally anti civil disobedience but good riddance, the thing should have been pulled down years ago.

GenerateUsername Sun 07-Jun-20 17:02:29

Sorry, posted too soon. I wanted to say that I didn't even know it was there (I don't live in Bristol) and wouldn't have known what it represented. We need to talk about these things and make it clear what they are and why they need to go, otherwise how will things ever change?

Rowantree2020 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:04:01

This isn’t the way to resolve things in a democracy. Where does this kind of direct action end?

BMW6 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:04:34

Am surprised and shocked that it wasn't taken down decades ago.

thedancingbear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:06:04

This isn’t the way to resolve things in a democracy. Where does this kind of direct action end?

I agree! I think we should be erecting more statues of slave traders! FFS.

Being serious, Rowantree2020, what is your fucking justification for a statue of a noted slave trader standing in a UK town centre in the 21st century?

pollyskettles Sun 07-Jun-20 17:06:51

Twitter is already seeing objections and accusations of criminal damage and vandalism - which it is of course. What should happen to the buildings in Bristol which the money from Colston and others paid for?

maybelou Sun 07-Jun-20 17:07:20

AMAZING!!! Bristol's very local to me, I'm so glad to see this (though the damn thing shouldn't have been up in the first place!) Good on the protesters.

GenerateUsername Sun 07-Jun-20 17:09:25

What should happen to the buildings in Bristol which the money from Colston and others paid for?

I believe that some of them have had their names changed.

Who would benefit if they were razed? Many would be harmed.

On the other hand, the removal of this statue is to no one's detriment.

Rowantree2020 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:10:30

I think it’s completely wrong to have the statue. I just don’t think it’s for groups of protesters to rip stuff down because that’s a slippery slope. It’s for the council to take it down following the normal democratic process.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 07-Jun-20 17:11:22

It being removed is one thing. Being torn down and thrown into a river is another.

The actions undermine the message.

Not the best way to change your world!

Boogiewoogietoo Sun 07-Jun-20 17:12:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

StealthPolarBear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:12:37

Agree its removal was symbolic and will go down in history

thedancingbear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:12:40

What would you prefer they did, sign an online petition?

BankofNook Sun 07-Jun-20 17:13:07

Where does this kind of direct action end?

Hopefully it ends with action from the government that will bring about the changes needed to end the racism without our society. Actions they should have taken before matters got to this stage.

Rosebel Sun 07-Jun-20 17:13:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MsTSwift Sun 07-Jun-20 17:13:28

Absolutely outrageous it was even there! Sickening to show how much power money bestows even hundreds of years later and many made in the most filthy way possible.

Bristol always gives me the creeps tbh and used to live there.

thedancingbear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:14:03

Rowantree, people have been trying to get the statue removed by democratic means for decades, and have got nowhere. It's offensive that it remained in place for so long, and I'm overjoyed this has happened.

MsTSwift Sun 07-Jun-20 17:15:15

Surely we learned from the suffragettes that things don’t change with polite requests.

MidsummerMurder Sun 07-Jun-20 17:15:24

Colostomy primary school changed its name a couple of years ago. They’re not airbrushing history, the children will learn who he was in an appropriate context, and why the name change was necessary and right.

Rowantree2020 Sun 07-Jun-20 17:18:07

Dancingbear this approach is similar to XR and a number of other causes. Effectively you’re saying that people who can’t get what they want through the democratic process can go ahead and take action by force. In which case is there any point to democracy?

thedancingbear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:18:28

All of you jumping on the bandwagon do you actually know anything about all the good things he did for Bristol?

I'm from the area (about 1/2 hour away), and am vaguely aware of the history. Mussolini made the trains run on time. So what?

The thing that alarms me about the whole BLM thing on here is whenever someone posts a positive thread calling out racism and racists, there's always a gaggle of posters seeking to undermine the message:

'they shouldn't be protesting because coronavirus'
'white people get killed by cops too'
'tearing down a statue of a slave trader is technically criminal damage'
'George Floyd was a bad man you know'

It's fairly transparent what's going on. They obviously can't articulate what they're really thinking in the current climate, so they have to snipe from the sidelines as the world changes around them.

StealthPolarBear Sun 07-Jun-20 17:18:32

Rosebel how does pulling down a statue affect a pandemic?
Lots of bad people did good things. As a slave trader surely that must be the main thing he is noted for?
(not here, I'd never heard of him until this)

This thread is not accepting new messages.