Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you to think carefully about your charity shop donations?

(4 Posts)
SoLongFurlough Sun 07-Jun-20 12:20:37

Many charity shops are due to reopen next week and are expecting to be inundated with donations.
Most of these donations (normally around 70%) will be unsellable
Can I ask you to ensure that anything you donate is clean, usable and sellable? No broken toys, no clothes that have been in your roofspace for 10 years, no videotapes, no underwear (clean or otherwise)...
If you wouldn't buy it yourself don't donate it!

OP’s posts: |
swampytiggaa Sun 07-Jun-20 12:24:22

Seconded from me 🙂 also if possible phone to check they are taking donations plus revised opening hours. We are going to be mostly running without volunteers for the foreseeable future.

Also please please please don’t dump donations outside the shops. They get stolen or flung around and end up being ragged or binned.

YesThisIsMe Sun 07-Jun-20 12:24:30

You can normally donate unsellable clothes as long as they’re not soiled, and are separated into a bag marked RAGS to save the shop workers time sorting them. They can then go straight to cash recycling after a cursory check.

Nanny0gg Sun 07-Jun-20 12:35:43

You can normally donate unsellable clothes as long as they’re not soiled, and are separated into a bag marked RAGS to save the shop workers time sorting them. They can then go straight to cash recycling after a cursory check.

Yep. I've got a bag of those plus bags of clean saleable items. But luckily we've got space so won't be taking them for a few weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »