Talk

Advanced search

Baby at 40, Frozen Embryo dilemma

(2 Posts)
EllaAlright Sun 07-Jun-20 09:11:13

Hi all,

Just after some thoughts. I had my first baby at 19, second at 20 and my 3rd at 36.

My 3rd was the result of ivf and I’ve got 2 frozen embryos left. I’m currently 39 and debating wether to try a frozen embryo transfer. Of course I know there’s no guarantee of pregnancy after transfer, but I’m feeling torn. I’m due to pay for the next years storage this year and it’s got me thinking.

I’ve worked sporadically through the years, and also spent time as a sahm. My youngest starts school next year, so I was going to try and do some volunteering this year and start an open university degree, and hopefully next year when he’s at school my volunteering role may have developed into something more.

If I don’t use the embryos we will have to make the decision to let them perish, which I’m not sure I’m ready to do. I’m just aware that I’m not getting any younger, but it seems my whole life has been revolves around raising children.

I’d like to have another baby, but I don’t know if it would have a negative impact on our lives. My husband isn’t keen on going ahead with the transfer, but I know he would.

I think if we were thinking about trying to conceive the usual way, it would be much easier, but as we have the embryos there, it just feels more of a dilemma, of course, as I’ve said, I understand that it’s not a given to become pregnant after embryo transfer. We have no financial worries, so that side doesn’t really have an impact.

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

OP’s posts: |
Newtothis2017 Sun 07-Jun-20 09:46:18

It is a tough decision. We had 3 frozen embryos after having 2 children close in age. I thought I was finished having babies. When I got the letter about annual storage fees, myself and my dh had a lots of conversations. In the end we decided to give it a go. 2 survived being defrosted. But only one was good enough for transfer. I was lucky and that fet is my youngest, who is the light of my life. She is 7 now. Good luck with whatever you decide

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »