Talk

Advanced search

To renew wedding vows / blessing

(88 Posts)
Rubbleonthedouble1 Sat 06-Jun-20 20:36:43

After ten years married? Just us and DC?

YABU It is tacky don’t do it
YANBU go for it

OP’s posts: |
PowerslidePanda Sat 06-Jun-20 20:57:19

A blessing, maybe. A renewal, no - the vows are meant to be for life, they shouldn't need renewing.

Sameold2020 Sat 06-Jun-20 20:58:39

You know people will think one of you has cheated, right?

TooTiredTodayOk Sat 06-Jun-20 20:58:41

My first thought when I hear of a couple doing this...

Which one had an affair?

AllsortsofAwkward Sat 06-Jun-20 20:58:49

People will wonder who's cheated..vows shouldn't need renewing unless they've been broken it's also abit attention seeking if you want to redo your wedding.

Proudboomer Sat 06-Jun-20 20:59:41

Wedding vows don’t need renewing as they are life long.

Unless you do it in secret most people will think one of you has had an affair and broken the original vow.

Ughmaybenot Sat 06-Jun-20 20:59:52

First thought is that someone’s been shagging away. Why else would you need to renew vows which literally mean ‘for life’.

Picklesprout Sat 06-Jun-20 21:00:42

Ooh who cheated?

MamaGee09 Sat 06-Jun-20 21:00:58

I find it all a bit cringeworthy, you’ve made your vows, why do you need to do it all again?

Just have a special day out Or a special holiday to celebrate with the children.

zigaziga Sat 06-Jun-20 21:01:52

I think it would be lovely to mark the day somehow - go somewhere meaningful like where you met or got engaged or married or somewhere you used to go before children ... Plan a really special day. But a renewal, no.

MittensTheSerpent Sat 06-Jun-20 21:02:33

Why would you need to renew them? Did you not mean them the first time round?

Toilenstripes Sat 06-Jun-20 21:02:44

Have a big party for your anniversary. No one is interested in your vows.

Lockeduporknockedup Sat 06-Jun-20 21:03:57

I have literally never heard of vowel renewals being done after someone cheated - is that a thing?! I've literally not once come across that in my entire life. Maybe I'm missing something?!
I'm not sure why you asked this here. People on this forum enjoy responding anything that makes you feel bad about yourself. You do you, do what makes you happy. You clearly want to do it, so do it.

jetsetter87 Sat 06-Jun-20 21:04:03

Are you dc even interested? Its a no for me.have a big part/piss up instead

SingingSands Sat 06-Jun-20 21:04:21

Ten years is a bit soon - and I would presume a vow had been broken to be honest, sorry. It may be better at first "big" anniversary like 25 years.

But then - pah, life is short! Who knows how much time we all have together.

So on balance if it is something you both want, then go for it.

Pipandmum Sat 06-Jun-20 21:05:02

Don't see the point of doing this. Have a nice weekend away to celebrate, or revisit your honeymoon destination.

user1487194234 Sat 06-Jun-20 21:07:20

First thought Who had the affair
Honestly

AnneLovesGilbert Sat 06-Jun-20 21:08:48

Your vows are for life. Have a party and get a nice new dress and a massive cake to celebrate.

Nospringchickendipper Sat 06-Jun-20 21:10:15

I've been to a renewal of marriage vows of a couple who had been married for over twenty years, they divorced a few months latershock

MsTSwift Sat 06-Jun-20 21:12:29

I would assume one had cheated and you were desperately trying to patch things up all utter cringe. Sorry.

keepingbees Sat 06-Jun-20 21:15:25

YANBU. Do what you like and makes you happy.

I'm thinking of the same for our 10th anniversary. No ones cheated, I just have my own personal reasons.

happymummy12345 Sat 06-Jun-20 21:15:51

Honestly I hate vow renewals and wonder why a couple would need to do it. Sorry

Thecurtainsofdestiny Sat 06-Jun-20 21:15:56

I think it's ridiculous that people assume an affair. We have friends who did a vow reaffirmation ( not renewal). They called it " we still do". I thought it was a lovely idea.

Do it if you want to.

NiceViper Sat 06-Jun-20 21:16:22

"I have literally never heard of vowel renewals being done after someone cheated - is that a thing?!"

Yes, very much so.

Occasionally people do it as part of eg Golden Wedding anniversary or for some other (carefully explained) reason. But in the absence of an explanation or a major anniversary, then yes it's repairing a breach. Mist comminly an affair

Bertucci Sat 06-Jun-20 21:18:38

Naff as fuck.

What is the point? Has there been infidelity? Vows don't expire, you know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »