Talk

Advanced search

Tips on stopping smoking!!!

(53 Posts)
Stampy84 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:43:31

Aghhhh
I’ve stopped to today, I’ve not had one since last night. My smoking had crept up to 20 a day, bloody awful and expensive..
My cravings come in waves, I’m riding them out by keeping busy!! But I’ve realised I reward myself with most things by smoking!
How long does this last??
When does that devil on my shoulder giving me reasons why I’m ok to smoke go away??
Any tips?

My AIBU?
Shall I just stop after lock down?? Or just get on with it and ride the storm, if I can stop smoking now, I have a better chance of staying of them?

OP’s posts: |
Stampy84 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:43:53

*off them

mamma2016 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:45:45

Read Allen Carr's The easy way to stop smoking.
You have to keep smoking all the way through it though, but it really does make it easy to stop.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sat 06-Jun-20 12:46:40

Yes Allen Carr! Worked for myself & Dh.

RamblingRose1 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:49:16

Stay off them now if you Can, best thing you will ever do for yourself and your bank account.
This sounds mad but I started running, could only manage ten minutes at first and felt crap but very quickly I appreciated feeling more healthy and started getting better. You can't do both and after a few months I caved in and had a cigarette, hated the way my lungs felt contaminated again and couldn't run properly for a bit so it put me off once and for all.
At the start it was a distraction, then it made me feel Good, now it's a way of life and the thought of smoking seems absurd 😁
Well done for taking the first step and however you do it I wish you the best of luck.

kyles101 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:51:12

Ah, well done! Getting pregnant made me stop and I've not had one since, although 18 months on I still have the (very) occasional "oooh" type craving. But then I remember I don't want to die, or smell, or get hooked again and spend an extortionate amount of money every day for the rest of my life!!

I feel your pain though, now is a brilliant time to do it because all of your usual habits and associations won't be there.

I'd recommend Alan Carr's easy way to stop smoking too, it's a great read and helps you to identify and separate the craving from "you"

Good luck, you can do it!!

Stampy84 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:52:08

Thank you for your responses!
I’m struggling a bit here!
You ha e to keep smoking with the Allen Carr?? Why did that just make my heart leap with joy?

@ramblingrose
Thank you! I’m certainly going to try and think of the money I’ll save, and in all honestly I feel zapped of energy after smoking! I only every enjoy maybe 1-2 out of the 20!!

EmeraldShamrock Sat 06-Jun-20 12:54:18

Allen Carr. The audio book is good as a takes a few hours, use your hands while you listen so you can concentrate, knit or something. smile
If you download the latest audio app you get a free token for a book.

Smarshian Sat 06-Jun-20 12:54:46

Another recommendation for Allen Carr. I read it and never smoked another cigarette. It’s been 5 years.

Chandler12 Sat 06-Jun-20 12:56:47

Ah I’ve been here before! How you feel is short terms I promise.

After 3 days you’ll feel almost human again. Put everyone in your life on notice that they should not speak to you during this time! Physical cravings gone.

After 2 weeks you’ll stop even thinking about it. Mental cravings gone.

Can vouch for Allen Carr too I could only stop after his book it’ll completely change your outlook on cigs. You can smoke while you read it if today just isn’t the one

kgetsit Sat 06-Jun-20 13:02:03

I don't smoke anymore and hate it now 20 year smoker I started using a vape like this cheap and Im actually in the mindset where see this as smoking now.
I started on 12 then 6mg now down to 3 I had a fag about 2 months ago and was disgusting.
It's the only thing that has made me quit and I feel so so much better 14 months off them.

MarigoldHotel Sat 06-Jun-20 13:02:18

Following with interest as I quit a week ago and stupidly caved and bought a pack of cigarettes this morning 🤦🏻‍♀️

Good luck stampy, it’s bloody hard this quitting lark!

petermaysawthefuture Sat 06-Jun-20 13:05:28

Vaping is the only way I managed to stop. Tried patches, hypnosis, I even paid to got to an Alan Carr stop smoking thing in Birmingham. 3 years without a cig now, but I am totally addicted to my vape unfortunately.

Stampy84 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:08:50

Is there any particular Allan Carr book? Or is there just one stop smoking one he does? Will order it now!!

EmeraldShamrock Sat 06-Jun-20 13:18:06

His newest one is available on audio. It really changes the way you think about smoking. I used patches too he advises against it but I found myself irritated and failing with a little hit of nicotine.

EmeraldShamrock Sat 06-Jun-20 13:18:49

It sad he died of lung cancer in the end.

EmeraldShamrock Sat 06-Jun-20 13:19:06

*It is

mogloveseggs Sat 06-Jun-20 13:20:48

Dh and I went cold turkey 10 years ago.
What I remember is that cravings only last 3 minutes, and the second week is worse than the first as thats when you beat the "habit". Best thing we ever did.

SharpieInThe Sat 06-Jun-20 13:25:10

You can do it!

Honestly, I swear you can.

I did and I was the worst quitter ever. If you'd met me before you'd never have believed I would ever quit.

If you cave, you have to do this all over again, every craving you've rode through was for nothing. If you get through this first 24 hours which are the worst, you never have to go through that again. You'll have done the hardest bit and every day will be easier.

Ice drinks. Ice lollies. Brushing my teeth. Sweet lollies. All helped me.

Try and avoid your triggers. For me that was coffee, tea, phone calls and alcohol.

You can do this.

DENMAN03 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:32:32

Maybe try the patches.. that's what I did. I gave up on the 1st January and followed the course. Still have the odd craving even 6 months later but feel so much better for it! Plus have saved over £2k. If money is a incentive then put it in a pot. The amount it grows is staggering and really helped me to give up.

Sunshineandcoffee Sat 06-Jun-20 13:38:26

Tablets, they change your senses so you continue to smoke with them . Then all of a sudden a few days later your taste buds go yeuch and you stub them out early. Then a day or two later the thought of lighting one has the same disgust reaction.

Amber0685 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:39:31

Patches

Sunshineandcoffee Sat 06-Jun-20 13:40:11

Champix is the name

Muh2020 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:40:28

I went cold turkey.
After 3 weeks off the fags, I knew I'd never smoke again.

Happynow001 Sat 06-Jun-20 13:48:41

I gave up a few years ago now but I used patches (if I remember correctly) you could get patches in different strengths. I used to alternate those with nicotine "cigarettes" for the hand to mouth smoking movement. Good luck whichever method you try.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »