Talk

Advanced search

To not understand whether or not I need passport photo countersigned (driving licence)

(5 Posts)
berTens Fri 05-Jun-20 09:52:10

I shouldn’t be confused about this but I am. If I’ve got a foreign (non-U.K.) passport that I’m sending to the DVLA with my paper application, do I need to have the passport photo countersigned? The DVLA information I have implies that if you send any passport in you don’t need to get the back of the passport photo countersigned but elsewhere in the information they use the word passport when they actually mean U.K. passport, so I’m not sure if that also applies with the countersignature requirement.

They aren’t communicating with anyone who isn’t a critical COVID-19 worker and I can’t afford to get it wrong as it’ll probably take ages for the application to be processed anyway. Getting a countersignature will be awkward, so I’d like to avoid it if possible.

Just wondered if anyone knows the answer to this for sure. Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
ChangeThePassword Fri 05-Jun-20 09:55:15

I don't know the answer for sure, but I suspect that you will need it countersigned as I think the dvla and the UK passport people share some information. Better to have it done and not need it, than not get it done and delay the process.

puffinandkoala Fri 05-Jun-20 10:00:31

I'd just ring them and pretend you work in a supermarket. They're not going to check are they?

But failing that:

The NI guidance is here, which may be helpful - depends if your passport is non-EEA or not: www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/having-your-photo-certified-driving-licence

puffinandkoala Fri 05-Jun-20 10:01:22

(don't know why the GB guidance can't be as clear!)

berTens Fri 05-Jun-20 11:55:16

Thanks.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »