Talk

Advanced search

Getting a bit sick of disappearing threads

(35 Posts)
Hingeandbracket Wed 03-Jun-20 13:06:11

Any discussion of any current even vaguely contentious issue just vanishes - loads of great content just nuked.

OP’s posts: |
SerenDippitty Wed 03-Jun-20 13:10:16

I agree. was annoyed the other day when the one about splitting a lottery win vanished. I'd been busy and looking forward to getting back to it. I don't know why threads can't just be locked rather than deleted if they are getting out of hand.

glassmister Wed 03-Jun-20 13:11:28

I was annoyed about the lottery one too.

Especially as I had been mentioned and I'll never know what was said now!

Scwelshbird Wed 03-Jun-20 13:11:52

I agree. It’s fair enough if it’s for a really good reason or if the op asks for it to be deleted. But mn seems to be deleting threads for nothing nowadays. It really pisses me off when they get pulled if someone has the slightest suspicion it’s fake. Literally any thread on here could be fake, it’s up to you whether you want to invest any time or energy into them. I bet there’s loads of people in desperate situations that have had threads pulled because they can’t prove it. Leaving fake threads up don’t hurt anyone, pulling real ones will

Laquila Wed 03-Jun-20 13:13:19

I just came back to check on an 11-pager that I'd contributed to and it's disappeared! It had apparently "strayed too far" - what does that mean??

Hingeandbracket Wed 03-Jun-20 13:15:15

I enjoy exploring the issues that face us in contemporary life, so I am not even complaining about the threads where there's some doubt about the authenticity of the OPs claims about events personal to them.

What I am on about is threads debating contentious issues from current life - I prefer not to live in a bubble of my own views and I think it's important to hear other views, even if I decide I can't agree.

OP’s posts: |
RoosterPie Wed 03-Jun-20 13:16:43

YANBU. I really think @MNHQ delete threads far too readily. It’s so annoying.

sqirrelfriends Wed 03-Jun-20 13:17:12

Agreed, any debate gets called a bun fight and gets pulled. When discussing real issues sometime debates get heated, there's nothing wrong with that.

SeasonallySnowyPeasant Wed 03-Jun-20 13:18:44

YANBU. Just lock the thread if it’s getting out of hand.

cstaff Wed 03-Jun-20 13:25:31

Watch as this thread gets taken down grin

AvoidingRealHumans Wed 03-Jun-20 13:26:34

This is a hate of mine too, especially when I've commented on it as I feel like I want to see it through.
If you mean the scratch card win post disappearing - I did see it in the daily mail so maybe that's why that one went?

ToothFairyNemesis Wed 03-Jun-20 13:28:19

Did people believe the lottery one?

sqirrelfriends Wed 03-Jun-20 13:47:04

The one with the traveller neighbours just got taken down.

sqirrelfriends Wed 03-Jun-20 13:48:28

@ToothFairyNemesis I did, but I'm gullible like that. Does anyone remember the thread where someone was ringing OP's bell every night? I woke up and checked that thread every morning for new developments... deleted.

Lockheart Wed 03-Jun-20 13:51:16

Don't get too invested in threads and don't rely on them for entertainment. They're not books you can check back to see if there's been a new chapter. People make things up, get scared and ask for things to be deleted, threads get out of hand, and so on and so forth.

Thisseatisnotavailable Wed 03-Jun-20 13:52:40

I agree. I was just a couple of pages into the one calling for mothers to teach their kids not to be racist and then it just went poof when I was going to the next page.

LovingLola Wed 03-Jun-20 13:57:47

And the one about the 18 and 8 year olds..is that gone?

ToothFairyNemesis Wed 03-Jun-20 14:26:00

@sqirrelfriends sorry I didn’t mean posters were gullible to believe that thread. I just wondered if it was just me that was suspicious.

ToothFairyNemesis Wed 03-Jun-20 14:26:51

I don’t remember the bell one, what happened in the end?

EloiseTheFirst Wed 03-Jun-20 14:43:04

Totally agree with you OP.

TrickorTreacle Wed 03-Jun-20 14:43:53

The Ruling Party, i.e. Ingsoc, censors anything that it doesn't agree with. We live in an Orwellian state.

sqirrelfriends Wed 03-Jun-20 15:02:34

@ToothFairyNemesis don't worry, I didn't think you were calling anyone gullible.

In regards to the bell thread, nothing as far as I'm aware. It got shut down before I could find anything out.

Viviennemary Wed 03-Jun-20 15:04:52

It is very annoying. Especially as interesting threads seem to be few and far between these days.

SerenDippitty Wed 03-Jun-20 15:11:50

The one about wanting a BMI of 18.5 has gone now.

ITonyah Wed 03-Jun-20 15:17:11

I am glad when they delete threads that contain a lot of abusive posts.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »