Talk

Advanced search

Menopause while breastfeeding?

(8 Posts)
kenandbarbie Tue 02-Jun-20 20:39:40

I am 44 and still breast feeding my 18 month old. I have had no period since dc was born. AIBU to think I could possibly have gone through the menopause? No symptoms of menopause.

OP’s posts: |
OnlyLittleMissOrganised Tue 02-Jun-20 21:08:04

Breastfeeding stops periods. If you stop breastfeeding you are likely to get one.

MadameJosephine Tue 02-Jun-20 21:08:17

It’s possible. My friend had a baby when she was 45 and then never had a period again. Initially she put it down to breastfeeding but they never returned. She never had any horrible menopausal symptoms either the lucky bugger, we thought that maybe the breastfeeding hormones had helped keep them at bay

Flupibass Tue 02-Jun-20 21:12:07

Same here, I had a friend who had a baby at 44. She breastfed him until he was roughly 5 years old. After that she didn’t get a period and the gp did some tests and said she’d gone through the menopause and again no symptoms.

NietzschePeachPearPlum Tue 02-Jun-20 21:33:32

I also know someone who had a baby in her 40s and never had a period again after finishing BF!

However, OP, as others say, periods often remain absent until after the end of breastfeeding. It's likely they'll return.

WhyNotMe40 Tue 02-Jun-20 21:39:10

I had a baby in my 40s and have only just recently stopped breastfeeding him - I'm now 46.
I thought the same as you OP - but no, bastard periods are back grin

Thehop Tue 02-Jun-20 21:50:49

I’m feeding my 3 year old and I’m in my early 40s. I’m in the early menopause, I’m the oldest of all the women in my family. I had periods despite feeding this time, even though I exclusively feed until we introduce solids. Bodies are strange things. If you’re fit and well, then does it matter?

kenandbarbie Wed 03-Jun-20 17:01:27

I guess I won't know till I've stopped breast feeding! Seems like it could go either way!!!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »