Talk

Advanced search

to be surprised at the bbc not finding 'retard' offensive

(68 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

recycledteenager24 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:46:21

just been reading on the have your say about beach goers and there is a lot of angry people. one poster #1088 commented on the 'retards' 'those retarded enough to go to the beach..' i contacted the moderator that i think that word is offensive byt they have deemed to say the post stays !
total scum in this day and age use this worrd imo.
ds has been called this for having autism,in the past. it makes me so angry. aibu ?

OP’s posts: |
Lordfrontpaw Tue 02-Jun-20 16:47:17

Wow - no just no.

foodpoisoning Tue 02-Jun-20 16:47:49

Really surprised they left it up.

mrsspooky Tue 02-Jun-20 16:51:38

Wow you are right, they are clearly mistaken and should have taken that down.

Lordfrontpaw Tue 02-Jun-20 16:52:04

I put in a complaint about something on the BBC website before Christmas - still waiting for a response.

recycledteenager24 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:52:23

well, in some ways not suprised the mod is ever thick or the bbc are trying and failing to get edgy.

Notverygrownup Tue 02-Jun-20 16:52:43

Totally unacceptable. Can you link to the page, so that others can complain too? Sounds like someone at the BBC needs reminding that this term is highly offensive to lots of people.

monkeytennis97 Tue 02-Jun-20 16:53:00

Disgusting but the bbc has gone right down in terms of reporting anything over the last few years (my DS is severely autistic).

Samcro Tue 02-Jun-20 16:53:11

Terrible that they left it up.

Redolent Tue 02-Jun-20 16:53:24

Their woke meter is way off on this one. Get a viral tweet about this going and they’ll change their stance sharpish.

MiddlesexGirl Tue 02-Jun-20 16:53:37

Scum isn't appropriate either imo.

SpartacusAutisticus Tue 02-Jun-20 16:54:47

You might want to send them this:

www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/play/worst-words-vote.shtml

Libertylee Tue 02-Jun-20 16:57:04

Absolutely agree with you- that word has no place in the world.

araiwa Tue 02-Jun-20 17:04:03

Is it live moderated? Or still there til someone gets to it?

recycledteenager24 Tue 02-Jun-20 17:06:34

sorry, i can't link at the moment, and middle sorry if you are offeneded by the 's--m' word,best not read 'have your say' dozens of posters have said the same and it is frequently used on here too.

recycledteenager24 Tue 02-Jun-20 17:08:59

it's live mod, i recieved an email saying it would be staying. times like this it would be good to be on twitter of fb, but i don't do either.

Gazelda Tue 02-Jun-20 17:11:51

How do I find the article? This is absolutely disgraceful

MeglaFlop Tue 02-Jun-20 17:12:42

If they remove everything that the thin skinned find offensive the DM crew would never get to post anything.

Whether that would be a bad thing is debatable.

Perisoire Tue 02-Jun-20 17:12:44

YANBU. I would never use that word and would call out anyone who uses it.

I have noticed the word ‘spaz’ used in American TV shows and books as a genuine synonym for ‘dumb’ which I think is also unacceptable.

recycledteenager24 Tue 02-Jun-20 18:57:15

megla so if you had a disabled dc / relative you'd be okay with them being called the r-word then, because that's how you come across.
if you'd read the full thread you'd know it was the bbc that refused to delete it NOT the daily mail.

BankofNook Tue 02-Jun-20 19:00:12

YANBU, there are some words which should be zero tolerance and the r-word is one of them.

whatareyouhiding Tue 02-Jun-20 19:00:55

It refers to a retarded state of educational development, so the usage is correct in the circumstances.

The alternative might be to suggest those people on the beach will never change.

BankofNook Tue 02-Jun-20 19:07:22

The usage is not correct in the circumstances.

It's a medical term that has been co-opted as an insult for those deemed to have low intelligence and/or no commonsense, to the point that it is now considered an outdated term due to the associated slur.

Why should disability be used as a by-word for stupid?

whatareyouhiding Tue 02-Jun-20 19:09:44

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

whatareyouhiding Tue 02-Jun-20 19:13:43

Perhaps a more interesting question is, why are British people more offended by this than by our own government's support for communist concentration camps?

Even black and Muslim English people seem unconcerned, despite the suffering of some of their ancestors in British concentration camps in colonial Africa.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »