Talk

Advanced search

How to help adult niece?

(10 Posts)
Rainbow12e Mon 01-Jun-20 10:47:52

She is almost 35. Rang me this morning in floods of tears. She is convinced she has breast cancer, specifically, pagets disease. I'm not sure how much detail I can go into but there is flaking and she says she wakes up and finds her night clothes stained brown in places but not the breast area always, more so, all around her night wear top. This does not happen throughout the day she says.
She has no kids and has never been pregnant/had any form of cancer. She is making an appointment with the doctors but is so hysterical that I am scared for her (She lives alone). She also has MS so is shielding and lives 5 hours away from where I am staying. Should I go to her? I know it's against the rules but I really need to hold her hand and make sure she is ok.

OP’s posts: |
june2007 Mon 01-Jun-20 10:54:23

I would wait to she has been to the doctors, it def sounds like there is an issue, but it may not be the big C as her when the doctors is and phone up after the apoinmtent see how it went, she may have to go to hospital, but when I went a month ago I was only allowed in on my own my husband had to wait in the car.

Rainbow12e Mon 01-Jun-20 11:00:37

I am just concerned as she has gone into total meltdown. This has been happening for a while and she has only just told me. Very worried about her and also, that it is cancer. 😢

Rainbow12e Mon 01-Jun-20 11:32:27

I can't calm her down, she is now talking about wills. I don't know what to do

Marsalimay Mon 01-Jun-20 11:34:07

If you want to go, and she wants you to go, why don't you go?

Rainbow12e Mon 01-Jun-20 11:44:09

Decision made, I am going.
It does sound highly serious. I need to be there for her.

PersephoneandHades Mon 01-Jun-20 11:59:35

Go to her; it sounds like she is in a very dark place.

marmitepasta Mon 01-Jun-20 12:05:29

I would definitely go to her if she has no one else she can turn to.

Rainbow12e Mon 01-Jun-20 12:11:11

Thank you. I am very concerned it is pagets disease. Done some googling and now terrified myself. I know that was stupid but natural instinct.
I know I need to be calm and clearheaded as I will be no good to her but I am extremely concerned.

PicaK Mon 01-Jun-20 12:20:10

Go to her if you are free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »