Talk

Advanced search

To sneak out in the dead of night and nab some abandoned plant pots?

(32 Posts)
DeborahAnnabelToo Sun 31-May-20 18:23:08

It's a closed down (permanently, pre-COVID) care home nearby which is going to be redeveloped into some flats at some point. There are quite a few empty plant pots in the front drive area. I would imagine they'll be chucked in a skip when the developers start (they're not particularly fancy or ornate) and I would like to give them a home and make use of them. Would it be really skanky to nab them for my garden? Technically stealing, I know, but they've been abandoned for months.

OP’s posts: |
TheThingWithFeathers Sun 31-May-20 18:26:08

I would! I hate seeing good things go to waste.

HorseChestnutTree Sun 31-May-20 18:35:01

Go for it. It is recycling so you are saving something from landfill.halo

Butterer Sun 31-May-20 18:35:24

Do it!

emilybrontescorsett Sun 31-May-20 18:36:17

Yes do it.

OscarWildesCat Sun 31-May-20 18:37:13

Do it!

TheWernethWife Sun 31-May-20 18:55:35

Go and get the poor abandoned pots. Paint them in nice bright colours and put lovely plants in them.

TooTiredTodayOk Sun 31-May-20 18:59:14

Do it.

OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Sun 31-May-20 19:04:18

Absolutely

81Byerley Sun 31-May-20 19:11:59

My favourite clothes airer was rescued from outside an empty house, and I took it early one evening. Go for it!

happyjack12 Sun 31-May-20 19:17:25

yep, do it!

LudaMusser Sun 31-May-20 19:20:43

I took three out of a skip recently.

Somanysocks Sun 31-May-20 19:37:01

It can never be unreasonable to stop things going to landfill, or to save oneself money.

ViciousJackdaw Sun 31-May-20 19:49:58

Yes, definitely get them, it would be such a waste otherwise.

It would be very skanky indeed if perfectly serviceable items were binned. I hope they bring you years of enjoyment.

icansmellburningleaves Sun 31-May-20 19:54:06

If you have to sneak around in the middle of the night you’ve probably answered your own question!

Merigoround Sun 31-May-20 19:58:52

I rescue all sorts from landfill. Weve had a lovely lloyd loom chair off a skip, a nice bedroom sized cabinet from the street where it was waiting for the large items skip lorry and a whole staircase of spindles that were thrown out by the new owners of a neighbouring house who objected to the previous owners really bad DIY attempts.

I would say dont go in the dead of night . Go in the daytime on a walk and march straight in and pop the pots into the box you brought for the purpose. You would be very unlucky for anyone to even notice you r presence.

Goingalittlecrazy Sun 31-May-20 20:02:35

GO GO GO.

The amount of stuff going to landfill at the moment is making me want to cry. I hate waste and with chairty shops being closed so much is being throw to landfil! Every little save helps!

BramwellBrown Sun 31-May-20 20:02:46

They were probably left there in the hope someone would take them rather than chucking then in the bin anyway, go help yourself.

Ghostlyglow Sun 31-May-20 20:08:23

Do it. One thing I like that's happening in lockdown, and it's hard to find anything to like obviously, is people leaving stuff out with help yourself signs on, giving stuff away.

Viviennemary Sun 31-May-20 20:12:03

It's theft. But don't let that stop you.

Samtsirch Sun 31-May-20 20:13:52

Yes do it, they’ll probably only get vandalised or thrown out and it’s not as though there’s anyone around who you can ask permission from.
I am always doing things like this, I can’t bear to see things just wasted.
The worst that can happen is someone asks for them back, then you just apologise and explain you thought they’d been abandoned.

Ghostlyglow Sun 31-May-20 20:14:45

The fun police have arrived grin

ListeningQuietly Sun 31-May-20 20:16:41

Haskins Garden Centres have a skip outside in which people can dump their pots
DH and have a merry time collecting what we need from it

Reduce
re use
recycle

as we said in the 70s

Snagscardies Sun 31-May-20 20:16:56

It's a Climate Change Emergency. We have to Dave the planet and reduce, reuse, recycle. You are doing the world a service.

Ghostlyglow Sun 31-May-20 20:19:49

Yes let's all Dave it @Snagscardies grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »