Talk

Advanced search

Employer not following COVID rules at all. WWYD?

(7 Posts)
DressesWithPocketsRockMyWorld Sun 31-May-20 12:30:44

A close friend has to go back to work tomorrow in a retail environment (named as allowed to reopen) but the owner/manager has not put in place any restrictions for customers or staff. There is no hot water to wash hands or a cleaner. No PPE. As many customers allowed in the shop as they fancy. 2 phones which 5 people use frequently and nothing to clean them.

When friend challenged this they were told it was very busy and to come back or be made redundant.

What would you do? If friend reports it will be pretty clear they did it as this has been going on all through lockdown.

YABU - leave it.

YANBU - report

OP’s posts: |
DragonTrainedByLucy Sun 31-May-20 12:43:11

You can report through BEIS I believe as a member of the public? Write it as though it has come from a shopper rather than staff.

I think Council's may also have a mechanism to report like this.

LouiseTrees Sun 31-May-20 12:54:13

Also carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer in their trouser pocket and just buy some antibacterial wipes for the phones.

Wotrewelookinat Sun 31-May-20 12:59:45

Contact ACAS.

Princessdebthe1st Sun 31-May-20 13:02:48

OP, businesses can only open if they are ‘Covid safe’ that applies to staff and customers. I would contact the local council and trading standards to report it as they will be putting more than just you friend at risk.

nothingcanhurtmewithmyeyesshut Sun 31-May-20 13:45:41

They cant make her redundant. A role is made redundant, not a person. If they did then they could not hire someone else to do her job.

Apolloanddaphne Sun 31-May-20 13:53:16

Surely when it does open the customers will be unhappy about lack of distancing and the lack of other COVID measures so he will be forced to make the necessary changes?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »