Talk

Advanced search

To be concerned about dental antibiotics during Covid?

(18 Posts)
lidoshuffle Sun 31-May-20 10:18:22

I've got a grumbling molar; experience suggests if it gets worse I'd need antibiotics/root treatment in normal times. The most I'll get currently and the foreseeable future are the antibiotics if it does flare up badly.

Considering I'm in my 60s and a bit overweight, is wiping out my resistance a really bad idea? If I have to have antibiotics, how long will it take to get my resistance back up and is there anything I can do to help? The jury seems out on probiotic yoghurts etc.

OP’s posts: |
AngelicInnocent Sun 31-May-20 10:20:52

Why will it wipe out your resistance? Antibiotics don't stop your immune system working.

hopingtobedally Sun 31-May-20 10:21:38

Antibiotics have nothing to do with resistance to viruses

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 31-May-20 10:22:46

I don't understand your question?

Moondust001 Sun 31-May-20 10:24:43

Well, dentists are reopening now - mine opens on Wednesday. If you have an infection you would have to have antibiotics before treatment in most cases anyway. Antibiotics do not suppress the immune system. And what the hell do probiotic yoghurts have to do with anything at all???

BertieBotts Sun 31-May-20 10:25:03

I think you have misunderstood the issue of antibiotic resistance. This isn't an issue for you personally, it's more of a general thing and it has nothing to do with covid. Have your dental treatment! Must be horrible to be in pain sad

PurpleDaisies Sun 31-May-20 10:26:52

You are best talking to your dentist. You’ve got some big misconceptions about antibiotic resistance. Taking antibiotics won’t have the effects you are describing here.

HauntedGoatFart Sun 31-May-20 10:27:39

Er... What?

It's bacteria who become resistant to antibiotics, not people. You seem to have some muddled ideas about your immune system. And anything related to bacteria is not going to affect your immune systems response to a virus.

curtainsforme Sun 31-May-20 10:28:46

Considering I'm in my 60s and a bit overweight, is wiping out my resistance a really bad idea?

Wiping out your resistance to what?

RandomLondoner Sun 31-May-20 10:55:36

I initially thought the same as most people replying, but a quick google seems to bring up lots of links saying antibiotics do have a negative effect on immune system. One article specifically refers to research that shows wiping out gut bacteria appears to make people more vulnerable to viruses.

www.livescience.com/62133-antibiotics-virus-infection-mice.html

RandomLondoner Sun 31-May-20 10:56:38

Sorry, makes mice more vulnerable. Presumably people as well.

Oysterbabe Sun 31-May-20 11:06:45

What is it you think antibiotics do exactly? confused

cheesyrats Sun 31-May-20 11:29:09

Antibiotics kill bacteria. They have no effect on your immune system whatever.

vanillandhoney Sun 31-May-20 11:31:33

Antibiotics have nothing to do with viruses.

Chandler12 Sun 31-May-20 11:36:35

Speak with your doctor too important a question for MN.

HauntedGoatFart Sun 31-May-20 11:37:37

Finding that effect in (lab-bred, genetically controlled) mice and extrapolating it to humans isn't a justifiable leap though, @RandomLondoner. It might work the same way in us - it would certainly be a hypothesis to investigate - but it also might be the opposite for all we know.

There are plenty of good reasons not to take antibiotics if you don't have a bacterial infection, but if you have a bacterial infection you should probably take them.

lidoshuffle Sun 31-May-20 12:18:59

I'm being thick here, aren't I? blush Slight panic mode I think. Thanks all for putting me right.

I know antibiotics don't affect viruses, but thought they somewhat knocked out one's resistance generally. On to Google!

OP’s posts: |
BertieBotts Sun 31-May-20 13:15:22

Tbe main personal risk you have from antibiotics (unless you're allergic of course!) is thrush. Probiotics can help against developing thrush.

I reckon if your system is generally a bit run down from fighting a bacterial infection, that's probably leaving you more vulnerable to viruses than any minor effects from a course of antibiotics would. That will treat the infection, and keep you healthy to fight off anything else that might come along smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »