Talk

Advanced search

Do you think this could be an SCC?

(23 Posts)
FooFighter99 Sat 30-May-20 23:03:03

I’ve had this weird little growth/spot on the back of my leg for a few months. It doesn’t seem to be getting better, and it’s definitely gotten bigger. I accidentally shaved the top off in the shower and it bled heavily then scabbed over. DH thinks it might be a wart, but Dr Google suggests it could be a squamous cell carcinoma 😕

Has anybody has an SCC and can give me an opinion, I’ll be ringing my GP on Monday morning to try and get an appointment.

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
RumbaswithPumbaas Sat 30-May-20 23:07:06

Have you travelled abroad recently (Southern Europe or hotter?)

FooFighter99 Sat 30-May-20 23:08:09

No, haven’t left the country in nearly 20 years 🤷🏻‍♀️

RumbaswithPumbaas Sat 30-May-20 23:10:20

Definitely best to get checked out with GP and try not to worry/google in the meantime... reason I asked about travel is that there are some exotic diseases affecting skin (such as cutaneous leishmaniasis) that British docs don’t always think about, so worth mentioning if you have travelled.

RumbaswithPumbaas Sat 30-May-20 23:11:08

Sorry, crossed post blush try not to worry but maybe insist on dermatology consult if they aren’t certain what it is.

Sparklesocks Sat 30-May-20 23:11:15

It might be an infected insect bite. But best to consult a professional to put your mind at ease.

FooFighter99 Sat 30-May-20 23:13:07

Definitely not a bite, I usually end up with cellulitis when I get bitten.

It isn’t itchy or sore. It’s just there, it’s very dry and scabby but I don’t feel it 🤔

FooFighter99 Sat 30-May-20 23:13:51

Thanks @RumbaswithPumbaas I’ll ring first thing Monday and try and get an appointment

FiveFootTwoEyesOfBlue Sat 30-May-20 23:13:55

Molluscum contagiosum? If so it's harmless, but best get it checked out.

FooFighter99 Sat 30-May-20 23:17:40

@FiveFootTwoEyesOfBlue there’s no liquid in the spot, it’s just a hard lump, so it doesn’t sound like it could be Molluscum Contagiosum

Cheeseismymiddlename Sun 31-May-20 07:07:41

Morning . I came on here to say I didn't think it SSC . SSC lesions tend to look more erosive. The boarders tend to be irregular not neat and round. I was always told SSC generally just look "nasty" and you will probably know when you see one. So no in-depth training iyswim . However, thought I would do a quick google before I added my pennies worth and to be fair unless some of the images have been wrongly labelled then this type of lesion does pop up so I can see why you might be concerned.

FooFighter99 Sun 31-May-20 12:08:03

@Cheeseismymiddlename I know what you mean, I always though SCC were nasty looking with irregular borders, but after last nights google session, more than a few of the images that popped up look exactly like mine! 😔 I’ll be ringing my GP first thing tomorrow, and I work for the NHS so I’ll be mithering my nursing colleagues tomorrow as to what they think it might be 👍🏻

gingerscot Sun 31-May-20 12:16:27

I’ve had a couple of BCCs removed and one might have looked a bit like that. They just whip you in and cut it out, no further treatment required, less than 10mins. One was on my face so was done in theatre by a plastic surgeon but the one on my shoulder was just in a normal treatment room.

I’m very fair and have been very careful with SPF all my life, I think it’s partly genetic as some of my extended family have also had some removed and they’re not fair skinned at all.

Have you been sunburnt in the past? Worked abroad? Worked outside? Those things increase the risk. Hopefully it’s not big deal for you but the doc should refer you to dermatology. Tell them you’ve had it a long time and it hasn’t healed and sometimes bleeds. Those were the main things they wanted to know.

FooFighter99 Sun 31-May-20 12:22:25

What’s the difference between SCC and BCC?

I do burn easily, I’m extremely pale and have had bad sunburn a few times in my youth. I can sit out on a cloudy day and still catch the sun on my shoulders 😕

I don’t think any of my family have had anything like this, so I don’t know if it’s genetic or just shit luck - I have a myriad of other skin complaints

EmergencyPractitioner Sun 31-May-20 12:35:25

See GP for advice.
I suspect it's a harmless Dermatofibroma.

lydia7986 Sun 31-May-20 12:40:58

Absolutely ring the GP tomorrow, just remember that given the current situation, the receptionist you speak to won’t be able to book you a face-to-face appointment.

They’ll put you on the triage list, and you’ll get a call back from a GP who will decide whether you need to be seen in person.

GPs are now doing video calls to a far greater extent, so they could look at your arm via video and decide to refer you without you even needing to come to the surgery.

lydia7986 Sun 31-May-20 12:43:50

Also, it’s not possible to ‘insist’ on a dermatology referral at the moment, because the only referrals allowed to go through are for suspected cancer two week waits.

So if your GP diagnoses it as something other than a SCC, they will not be able to refer you.

cathcath2 Sun 31-May-20 19:36:14

It is far more likely to be a BCC. A BCC will get bigger over time so needs to be taken out but it will not spread to other parts of the body. BCCs are far less serious. Try not to worry and call the GP tomorrow.
P.S. stop googling!

Ghostlyglow Sun 31-May-20 19:38:51

I've had one of those, or something very similar, for years confused

FrankiesKnuckle Sun 31-May-20 19:45:14

Seborrheic keratosis?

I've got several, one recently increased in size and became very scabby.
Had a virtual consultation with my GP a few weeks ago (who ended up seeing me and freezing it) and has referred me to a dermatologist.

UncleFoster Sun 31-May-20 19:51:47

I dont think its an SCC. If its been there a few months generally an scc would have grown more by now. And SCCs do generally look nastier.

However you definitely need it checked out.

RumbaswithPumbaas Mon 01-Jun-20 08:01:56

Not sure why dermatologists wouldn’t be working in corona but there might be a longer wait. They do seem to do this by telemedicine/photos sometimes if GPs aren’t sure, some GPs in a practice have more of an interest In derm. But you’ll probably find they take one look, identify something benign and you can leave relieved. Good luck today OP

lydia7986 Mon 01-Jun-20 09:22:48

Not sure why dermatologists wouldn’t be working in corona

Dermatologists were redeployed to covid wards during the peak, just like all other hospital doctors.

At our local hospital, the dermatologists have now finished their work on those wards, and are returning to dermatology, but for now they’re only seeing existing outpatients and suspected cancer two week waits.

The hospital isn’t currently accepting new referrals other than two week waits - and that’s not just dermatology, it’s everything.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »