Talk

Advanced search

If someone gave you a million

(125 Posts)
Hopefulworker Sat 30-May-20 19:35:21

If someone gave you a million pounds to start a business, what business would you start?

Riffing off the interview question thread, I’ve been asked this and thought it was an interesting one as it shows a little about someone’s true passions/hobbies

OP’s posts: |
raspberryk Sat 30-May-20 19:37:14

Something to do with dogs, horses, or houses.

MrsL2016 Sat 30-May-20 19:37:40

Me and my friend talk about opening a bar/cafe/bookstore/reading room type place if we had the funds.

Kpo58 Sat 30-May-20 19:38:30

A shop that did normal price (aka not £100+) shoes for people with large feet (size 9+) for everyday wear.

DuckALaurent Sat 30-May-20 19:39:26

I’d buy houses, do them up and sell them on.
A million quid would let me do it without dealing with banks and mortgages to get going. I hate dealing with banks and mortgages.

Burnout101 Sat 30-May-20 19:40:32

I'd buy a smallholding that I could do a bit of gardening on, have a small campsite and lots of rescue dogs, wouldn't make a lot of profit but it would pay my way then.

Either that or flipping houses, buying run down houses and doing them up to sell.

lojoko Sat 30-May-20 19:44:47

I'd buy an old church I know of and set it up as a walking holiday retreat type place with events on in the hall - lectures, gigs, workshops and organised walks around the hills. I'd make it opt in activities, with some glamping in the grounds as well as proper rooms in the bell tower.

It's a very good position - right by a train station and near both a very popular venue, very beautiful countryside, sports venues, and a bijou shopping district. And only £150,000 for the building and grounds.

But I don't have the money so it will fall down. Ah well!

TheThingWithFeathers Sat 30-May-20 19:50:17

I would buy a property in the country with some outbuildings where I could start up my dream businesses: a wee shop selling bread, chocolate and chocolatey baked goods, and a ceramics studio/shop.

karigan Sat 30-May-20 19:55:38

I'd buy one of the old warehouse/factory buildings in my local city, renovate them and then run an escape room business out of them.

Luaa Sat 30-May-20 19:59:25

To be honest, I don't think I'd want to set up my own business. It's not a question I could easily answer, if I had to do it it would take a lot of thought first.

MamaGee09 Sat 30-May-20 20:00:31

I’d open my own cat rescue centre or a cattery.

intheningnangnong Sat 30-May-20 20:04:14

Would I have to open a business? I’d invest it and live off the growth and income grin

Cherrysoup Sat 30-May-20 20:06:47

Rural house with land, I’d have a small livery yard and some self catering yurts/holiday cottage/caravans/tent pitches in the grounds.

SpeedofaSloth Sat 30-May-20 20:07:46

A coffee shop with space for sewing classes, and space for a little haberdashery.

Shesellsseashellsontheseashore Sat 30-May-20 20:09:17

I would buy a house with large outbuildings so that we could move our business from rented premises.

Wecandothis99 Sat 30-May-20 20:10:41

Def a restaurant

Hopefulworker Sat 30-May-20 20:14:21

@MamaGee09 same 🤣 🐱

OP’s posts: |
Ylvamoon Sat 30-May-20 20:14:45

I'd buy a B&B wit land and clamping huts in snowdonia or the highlands... I'd have some more dogs like Mastiffs and would start breeding them... (or have a similar set up in the Alps!)

YeahWhatevver Sat 30-May-20 20:19:09

I have this hankering to start a space filled with tools/equipment/materials (think woodworking, metalworking, electronics, pottery wheels etc) and people pay a monthly subscription to come along, use the equipment and make stuff.

Kind of a craft/hobby space where people can access the kind of equipment that you'd unlikely be able to buy as a private individual and make all sorts of things and participate in a community of like minded people.

Bluetrews25 Sat 30-May-20 20:22:32

Doggy daycare and hotel for large breeds.

ViciousJackdaw Sat 30-May-20 20:26:16

I'd buy a car park, that would pretty much run itself then I'd get a breakers yard, having recently worked out that my 18 yo car is worth an absolute fortune in parts.

OkMaybeNot Sat 30-May-20 20:27:56

I'd open a bakery.

mylittlesandwich Sat 30-May-20 20:32:10

My husband is a chef so I'd open a cafe that runs a bistro a few nights a month. That way he can do what he loves but also get time at home with his family. The best of both worlds. I am not a chef so I'd do the boring bits.

Zaphodsotherhead Sat 30-May-20 20:34:42

I'd give up my day job and write books full time.

I'd also buy a big house on the moors to run as a writers' retreat and run guided writing courses, fully catered.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Sat 30-May-20 20:35:14

Similar to @SpeedofaSloth - I would have a book shop, with an extensive craft books section, and next door, a yarn shop, then upstairs from them both, a coffee shop, where people can sit and knit or crochet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »