Talk

Advanced search

Sausages stay anemic looking

(38 Posts)
Tolivebytheseaahh Sat 30-May-20 18:09:43

Sometimes when I cook sausages they brown. Sometimes they stay pale. But they have always been cooked.

Just cooked a lack of chipolata sausages for 5 minutes longer than recommend in the oven. 4 were light brown and 6 were pale. The skins were were also still shiny. They were boiling hot and everyone was served up so I served them. Now I just want to check they are still safe?

I have a love hate thing with sausages. I mainly cook them as it's sometimes the kids will eat with mash and veg.

OP’s posts: |
Zaphodsotherhead Sat 30-May-20 19:21:44

Oh god, yes. Sausages in the slow cooker...eating those is like giving a blow job.

Stannisbaratheonsboxofmatches Sat 30-May-20 19:22:01

I do them in the oven as easiest. They always brown. I do them on a metal baking tray which helps I think.

worriedandannoyed Sat 30-May-20 19:22:16

I was just about to say asda extra special sausages are the nicest tasting but don't brown in the oven!

emmathedilemma Sat 30-May-20 19:23:03

I don't think I've ever read the cooking instructions on a sausage! I like mine brown all over as much as possible so probably cook them for twice as long as is really needed! I think they take longer to brown in the oven compared to grilling them.

CatBatCat Sat 30-May-20 19:25:04

In the oven I pierce the skins so the fat can escape helping them to go brown

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 30-May-20 19:25:04

@Zaphodsotherhead 😂😂😂

TooMinty Sat 30-May-20 19:31:33

I find sausages take loads longer to cook than it says on the packet. But I doubt yours are dangerous, just I like them well done.

handbagsatdawn33 Sat 30-May-20 19:33:38

2 points:-

Are you pre-heating the oven?
Are you taking account of different temp for fan/non-fan ovens?

GameSetMatch Sat 30-May-20 19:47:48

I cook mine in the oven with a little oil so they don’t stick but go brown.

knittingaddict Sat 30-May-20 19:53:03

I always find they look very anaemic when cooked in the oven. I always grill mine because I prefer them crispy and browned.

I cook mine at about 220 for about 25 minutes. They are never anaemic and I've cooked loads of brands.

Richmond sausages are disgusting though. Shudder.

Winederlust Sat 30-May-20 19:55:54

Grilling is the best way to cook sausages. No idea why you'd oven cook them?

ViciousJackdaw Sat 30-May-20 20:36:50

CatBatCat

In the oven I pierce the skins so the fat can escape helping them to go brown

Yes to this, with the added advantage of reducing their fat content when you come to eat them. Grilling is better but sometimes, it's just easier to bung them in the oven, especially when it's already on. Not everyone has a separate grill and oven cavity.

TooMinty Sun 31-May-20 00:03:35

And Lidl pork and caramelised onion or pork and apple are best sausages!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in