Talk

Advanced search

To think psychiatrist have a bad reputation for no reason

(8 Posts)
User37372 Sat 30-May-20 16:48:17

Psychiatrist seem to get a very bad reputation in comparison to mental health nurses. Just wondering why this is?

OP’s posts: |
MoseShrute Sat 30-May-20 16:53:44

There are good and bad psychiatrists. Certainly in my work the patients who would say l was "bad" would be the ones who felt that l was disagreeing with them about what help/treatment they needed. This is very common. Patients will often have a set idea about what diagnosis or medication they want, and get upset and angry when l feel thats not right or clinically appropriate

Puddlejuice Sat 30-May-20 17:09:07

Because psychiatrists hold "the power" to detain / grant S17 leave etc.
The nurse is seen as the advocate for the patient, the psychiatrist as withholding the freedom.

MoseShrute Sat 30-May-20 17:14:08

Yep....plus enforcing medication on people who dont want it

Moumia Sat 30-May-20 17:37:56

I though my psychiatrist was awful when I was in the middle of a mental health breakdown. Now I’m much better and can see my psychiatrist only ever had my best interests at heart, in fact it’s fair to say he saved my life.

The very nature of a psychiatrists work means that sometimes a patient isn’t in the best place to judge wether their treatment is appropriate or not.

User37372 Sat 30-May-20 18:08:34

Interesting view points.

ChristmasFluff Sat 30-May-20 18:14:51

If you google 'anti-psychiatry' you will find books by people more well-equipped to explain this than randoms on mumsnet. Other psychiatrists, for a start.

User37372 Sat 30-May-20 20:55:34

Thank you I will do.(:

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »