Talk

Advanced search

To think I can do this?

(25 Posts)
Herecomethehotstepper Sat 30-May-20 09:29:01

So I need to build some garden steps. The muddy slope is my garden and the other pic is what I'm planning to build. I have wood, screws, shovel, spirit level, a mallet and a saw and no carpentry experience whatsoever. Aibu to think it's not as hard as it looks?

OP’s posts: |
Dee1975 Sat 30-May-20 10:01:42

I say go for it. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Whilst it may not be as easy as it looks, provided you have a good drill / screwdriver you will be fine! Good luck!

MrsMozartMkII Sat 30-May-20 10:06:32

Give it a go!

Remember to measure twice then hopefully you'll only be cutting once smile

Herecomethehotstepper Sat 30-May-20 10:09:44

Thank you! grin I'll be extremely proud of myself if I manage it!

Eckhart Sat 30-May-20 10:14:11

I think you should give it a go. You've nothing to lose. If you find it's too hard you can get someone to do it for you, which is the only other option anyway.
I took this approach with cutting my own hair, and it's SO satisfying when you find you can do it.
Good luck!

ShipshapeShore Sat 30-May-20 10:21:17

There must be loads of step by step videos on YouTube if you feel like guidance might help! I say go for it, just be careful and don't injure yourself.

Strawberrypancakes Sat 30-May-20 10:23:28

Definitely give it a go!

MrsOfBebbanburg Sat 30-May-20 10:25:24

Do you have a drill? Or can you borrow one?

RandomMess Sat 30-May-20 10:25:34

Do you have treated wood else won't it rot quickly or line it with waterproof membrane of some sort???

If it's wood you already have then go for it, you can always remake some in the future!

bellabasset Sat 30-May-20 10:37:43

Are you planning to fill the boxes with gravel or concrete to give you a grip in wet weather. I made a concrete step using wood when we had an old house with a little lean to that the rain water ran into.Worked really well. Or you could buy brick pavers and put in a base to lay them on, good luck

FinallyHere Sat 30-May-20 10:50:50

Are you planning to cut the steps into the slope of the bank ? Could that be at risk of a 'land slide' if there were a lot of rain?

An alternative would be to cut into and the build a bank to retain the soil of the slope, then just build a couple of steps to reach the top?

As OP have pointed out, there will be lots of 'how-to' videos to find. I'd also be inclined to sketch out a plan on paper before setting to. Good luck.

Herecomethehotstepper Sun 31-May-20 09:57:04

It's coming along! I changed the design slightly as these ones looked easier and I forgot to ask ex DP for my drill back. Bloody hard work though!

Gwenisthename Sun 31-May-20 10:03:09

Keep going !

Teacher12345 Sun 31-May-20 10:09:14

Fantastic well done!

Dontuforgetaboutme Sun 31-May-20 10:19:12

Single mum here feeling down about the future and all the things on my plate. You have given my joy from your achievements. It IS possible if you put your mind to it! Well done you! (And thanks for peeking me up!)

Dontuforgetaboutme Sun 31-May-20 10:19:40

Perking

SquatBetty Sun 31-May-20 10:22:24

Brilliant! Don't forget to post a photo when you've finished

FOJN Sun 31-May-20 10:27:47

Looks like you're doing a great job. Come back and shows us the finished results.

MrsHuntGeneNotJeremyObviously Sun 31-May-20 10:31:09

I'm shamelessly place marking so I can see how it turns out. Well done OP, looks great do far

Eckhart Sun 31-May-20 10:37:14

Ha! Looking great, OP. Keep us updated. And I hope you've got a hat on working in this weather grin

Herecomethehotstepper Sun 31-May-20 11:46:33

Aww, thank you so much for the encouragement.

@Dontuforgetaboutme I'm a single mum too. Ex DP said he was going to do these steps for 3 years. We got this 😉

Herecomethehotstepper Mon 01-Jun-20 19:05:44

Progress update!

So I started with low, deep steps but realised I would have to dig halfway up the garden to continue the same angle and would need an excavator to move the dirt. So I made the top steps higher and less deep but now it's too steep and I'm worried about the dc toppling over the steps. I'll remove the top few steps and dig further back later on in the week. My whole body aches! I have sunburn and calluses on my hands. But I'm almost there smile

MrsHuntGeneNotJeremyObviously Mon 01-Jun-20 19:21:23

You've done brilliantly

PinkMic Mon 01-Jun-20 19:27:27

That is mightily impressive!

Dontuforgetaboutme Sun 07-Jun-20 09:01:00

Wow! Well done OP. They look great. You should be very proud of yourself. I bet you have a real sense of satisfaction!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »