Talk

Advanced search

to think that children aren't people...

(135 Posts)
BumpBundle Thu 28-May-20 17:33:53

My son is 11mo. We were planning on having a birthday party for him inviting my parents, my sister and BIL, my SIL and her husband, four godparents and MIL and FIL. We're thinking a picnic so we're outside, can bring our own food and maintain social distancing.
Obviously this is too many people - only being allowed up to 6. However, it would work quite well to do three separate picnics.
1. My mum, my dad, my husband, me, my sister, my brother in law = 6 people.
2. Four godparents, my husband, me = 6 people.
3. My sister-in-law, her husband, my father-in-law, his wife, my husband, me = 6 people.
Unfortunately, this perfect plan is somewhat scuppered if we allow my son to attend his own first birthday party. AIBU to have seven people if one of them is only one year old, from our household and obviously will be socially distanced from the others?

OP’s posts: |
mbosnz Thu 28-May-20 17:35:44

Exercise your own judgment in light of your own unique personal circumstances, isn't that the spirit of the rules/guidance/law now?

NeverForgetYourDreams Thu 28-May-20 17:41:56

If everyone breaks the rules then where will we be. It's 6 people. Living breathing humans. So yes YABU.

Miriel Thu 28-May-20 17:43:51

YABU for the 'children aren't people' wording in the title, because I clicked on this thread ready to have a rant about bad parenting - but YANBU to have 7 people for your son's birthday party. Completely reasonable interpretation of the guidelines! There would be no childcare for him otherwise.

AliasGrape Thu 28-May-20 17:46:19

Well they’re opening schools because children pose so little risk apparently, so there’s that.

PleasantVille Thu 28-May-20 17:46:51

I'm really not sure if this is a serious question

At this stage in the crisis I see this as being the equivalent of WIBU to go within 175cm of someone in the supermarket.

pigsDOfly Thu 28-May-20 17:48:09

Why are you asking if this is all right?

Of course it's not all right, unless you're Dominic Cummings, of course. In which case knock yourself out.

Rhayader Thu 28-May-20 17:48:17

I think 7 would be fine if one is a baby but 3x6 does kind of take the piss. Will there be no mixing between these picnics?

justhereforthetips Thu 28-May-20 17:48:57

Well obviously they are people but I don't see many people caring about this.

I'm in Scotland and thankfully we can have 8 and be in our own gardens with them from tomorrow.

BumpBundle Thu 28-May-20 17:49:33

@Rhayader We would be having the picnics on different days. One with my family, one with my husband's family and one with our friends. So, no, there wouldn't be any mixing.

titchy Thu 28-May-20 17:49:54

OP is planning three separate picnic occasions.... and I think that would be absolutely fine.

WorraLiberty Thu 28-May-20 17:52:26

It's a lot of fucking about for a baby's birthday to be honest.

But I don't think anyone's going to notice or care that baby makes 7.

BogRollBOGOF Thu 28-May-20 17:52:47

Only the most pedantic idiot would get their knickers in a twist over a baby bringing their numbers up to 7. The difference is negligable.

We are a family of 4. Most of our friends are families of 4. To meet another family means 8 unless we start leaving primary school children behind which the NSPCC tends to take a dim view of.

The social distancing and being outside is the important protective part.

NuffSaidSam Thu 28-May-20 17:52:48

I think children are people, but babies are not.

Like on an aeroplane or at the theatre. Babies in arms don't count.

Rhayader Thu 28-May-20 17:53:48

@BumpBundle

Ahhh I see, yeah I would say that’s fine. Babies don’t go anywhere other than their parents so are not an additional infection risk imho

JellyBabiesSaveLives Thu 28-May-20 17:54:59

Yes that’s fine, 6 is not a magic number. And as regards keeping to the rules, you’re following your instincts and being a good parent so that’s fine.

The tricky bit might be if your son can crawl - social distancing will be hard work!

ArriettyJones Thu 28-May-20 17:56:03

Is your ambition to be an infection vector?

Why?

GrumpyHoonMain Thu 28-May-20 17:56:50

Infants in arms don’t count. Enjoy the party!

ChaoticCatling Thu 28-May-20 17:56:59

Babies in arms or in a carrier don't really count as separate entities, if they are walking or crawling around they do.

SunbathingDragon Thu 28-May-20 17:57:00

Will everyone be able to see well enough to tell that there are seven people instead of six?

YABU though as a one your old is a person and counts as one.

BumpBundle Thu 28-May-20 17:58:09

@ArriettyJones I don't see how it's any more likely to spread an infection than if my son weren't there. Could you explain? Perhaps I'm missing something?
The chances of him having the infection without me or my husband having it are near-impossible and he won't be close enough to spread the infection to anyone else even if he did have it...

Toilenstripes Thu 28-May-20 17:58:35

We must ask ourselves WWDD?

DappledThings Thu 28-May-20 17:59:06

It's a lot of fucking about for a baby's birthday to be honest.

But I don't think anyone's going to notice or care that baby makes 7.

Couldn't have put it better!

BumpBundle Thu 28-May-20 17:59:52

@Toilenstripes That's good advice but my eyesight is fine, thanks though haha

ArriettyJones Thu 28-May-20 18:01:41

@ArriettyJones I don't see how it's any more likely to spread an infection than if my son weren't there. Could you explain? Perhaps I'm missing something?

Three separate picnics for a baby is just bonkers. I can’t understand why you’d even consider it (especially mid-pandemic, potentially spreading infection from one group to the next.)

But, even as I’m typing that, it occurs to me that this is probably a PFB situation. 🤷🏽‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »