Talk

Advanced search

To expect adults not to cycle on the sodding pavement

(13 Posts)
PoloNeckKnickers Thu 28-May-20 16:21:07

What is it with adults who cycle on pavements? If they're too lily livered to cycle in the road alongside other traffic then they should bloody well walk. In the space of an hour today, I saw three different blokes (one in the full lycra FFS) cycling towards me on the pavement with no intention of letting me pass. And only the other day a bloke who was cycling on the pavement moved over into the road and then shouted "You're welcome!" when I didn't acknowledge his act of great chivalry.
Dickheads, the lot of them.

OP’s posts: |
PoloNeckKnickers Thu 28-May-20 16:24:16

Ignore this! I've just seen another thread about this blush

OP’s posts: |
SecondaryBurnzzz Thu 28-May-20 16:27:15

I agree with you OP, but where is the other thread? I feel sure it will need my input!

Thingsthatgo Thu 28-May-20 17:33:25

Yanbu

Flowersinthewild Thu 28-May-20 17:58:00

I had a conversation about bikes on pavements this morning. My mum is partially deaf. She went to the shops yesterday she lives in a town and is able to walk to the nearest shops in 5 minutes. She was carrying heavy bags home, and was on a narrow pavement when she could hear a faint noise but didn’t know what it was. She heard it a few times but carried on. All of a sudden someone really shouted ‘excuse me’ literally in her ear! She turned round quickly to see 1 male and female (mid 30’s) each on their bikes Wanting to get pass her. They said they had been ringing their bells to get her to move and she hadnt movedangry my mum informed them they should be on the road and not on the pavement, they shouted back they could ride where they wanted! The road was empty at this point so they could have easily gone in the road around her instead but nope apparently they want the whole pavement!!!!!! angry

abstractprojection Thu 28-May-20 18:19:58

I’m a cyclist who cycles on the road but constantly see men (and it’s always men, typically without helmets either) bounding down pavements on a bike. Sometimes they’d swerve onto the road right in front of me or almost into me if it’s a short cut. It’s increased a lot with lockdown even though roads have been fairly empty, so wonderful cycling!

Bunnybigears Thu 28-May-20 18:25:41

I have been cycling on cycle paths that are on a pavement instead of on the road if you see what I mean. The amount of people who walk on the cycling bit completely oblivious is astounding. I think pedestrians, cyclists, drivers all have the ability to be prats.

SecondaryBurnzzz Thu 28-May-20 18:55:56

This is why I think there should be a (Mr-Chumleigh-Walker-style) national campaign so people understand where the cylcle lanes are and what the markings mean. Lots of OAP's won't have a clue (my parents included)

AdoptedBumpkin Mon 01-Jun-20 17:59:28

I saw this today. Heard a child's voice behind me and it turned out to be on a boy on a bike, accompanied by presumably his mother. She must have seen me but carried on cycling at the same pace. Eventually I crossed the road to be on the safe side.

Love51 Mon 01-Jun-20 18:03:19

My understanding is that children on the pavement is fine and not adults, and that the differential isn't the age of the cyclist, but the diameter of the wheels. So, if you want to cycle legally on pavements, you have to do it on a tiny bicycle. I can't remember the largest diameter size that can be ridden on pavements though, presumably any particularly small adults who cycle will know though.

AdoptedBumpkin Mon 01-Jun-20 18:07:57

I didn't really notice the size of the wheels. I had no issue with the boy, but I did think the lady could have been on the edge of the road. It wasn't busy at all.

Lordamighty Mon 01-Jun-20 18:09:22

This a constant topic on my local neighbourhood app & without fail they all chime in with the roads are too dangerous excuse. Well you shouldn’t be out on a bloody bike then. When the lockdown first started & the roads were really quiet I saw a woman pedestrian have to step out onto the A57 while 2 adult cyclists took up the narrow pavement, there were no cars on the road, what better time to cycle on them?

Oldsu Mon 01-Jun-20 18:20:20

My 16 year old niece is brain damaged, when she was 8 she was hit by a cyclist and hit her head hard on the pavement causing irreversible damage , fucking cyclist didn't even stop, my sister saw it but couldn't so anything, so personally if I see one on the pavement they get the sharp end of my tongue and I can be VERY rude

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »