Talk

Advanced search

To think Tom was an absolute shit to Lorna in Waterloo Road

(31 Posts)
Witchofzog Thu 28-May-20 14:55:21

I am just rewatching from the beginning and I remember Lorna being hard work and neurotic. However how much of a shit is Tom? He tells her he doesn't love her when she is about to start teaching for the day, declares he is in love with her best friend to her best friend, still marries her when best friend turns him down, kisses best friend at the wedding and then when she is pregnant he fucks off to the pub in a mood, comes back and drunkenly and nastily tells her he would never have married her if he knew she was pregnant leaving her sobbing at the bottom of the stairs. And that's how far I have got so far.

I remember Tom being a much loved character but be is an absolute arse isn't he?

RyanBergarasTeeth Thu 28-May-20 14:57:02

Yeah everyone used to fancy tom but you are right. Thinking about it now he was awful to Lorna really awful.

LemonSqueezy0 Thu 28-May-20 14:59:36

What channel is it on please? I'd like to rewatch.
So many shows are like this, they don't stand the test of time, or you question why certain characters were well received when actually they were dicks!

Witchofzog Thu 28-May-20 15:02:36

It's on BBC iPlayer. The whole set of series. The first was in 2006 and so far it's quite misogynist in places too. I remember it being amazing back in the day and I also liked Tom blush

molifly14 Thu 28-May-20 15:03:53

I've been rewatching! Got to series six though and I'm bored.

Tom literally shags about every female teacher and there's only so many teenage pregnancy storylines I can cope with!

The first few series with Grantly/Steph are my favourites x

GU24Mum Thu 28-May-20 15:06:17

I started rewatching it a few months ago. Got to the end of Series 2 so far I think. I remember giving up originally when the school "moved" to Scotland!

stardance Thu 28-May-20 15:11:38

Oh I loved Waterloo road, I'm going to have to watch it again!

Witchofzog Thu 28-May-20 15:24:04

Oh and I forgot to mention that he throws a wobbler and says he wants to leave teaching, and has a hissy fit when Lorna quite sensibly points out that with a baby on the way, leaving his job is not good timing.

TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair Thu 28-May-20 15:27:29

She takes her own life eventually doesn't she? sad

Leeds2 Thu 28-May-20 15:29:00

I have watched all ten series since lockdown began. Tom does seem to morph from being an obnoxious git into a decent human being by the time he meets his untimely demise!
I didn't like Grantly in the first few episodes either, but his role seemed to expand as the series progressed, and he was my favourite by the end.

WaterOffADucksCrack Thu 28-May-20 15:31:37

He's a shit at the beginning but turns into a good person, ends up taking many kids under his wing, fights for the kids etc. I like it because it shows people can change - I say that as someone who was cheated on whilst I was pregnant etc...

Pickles89 Thu 28-May-20 15:34:56

there's only so many teenage pregnancy storylines I can cope with!

The actress giving birth in the first series is 25 if she's a day!

Yep, Tom's a twat. What untimely demise though? Does he snuff it? I've not watched for a few years. I loved the series when I was a teenager, though had grown out of it before it moved to Scotland.

ouch321 Thu 28-May-20 15:35:43

I started watching it about a month back.

Didn't really watch when it aired but found it on iPlayer.

The most annoying character for me was Davina.

Wish Steph hadn't left the series.

ItsNotJaneFonda Thu 28-May-20 15:36:18

I can't remember Lorna's character but didn't they have a daughter called Sambuca and she died?

Pickles89 Thu 28-May-20 15:36:29

@TheAdventuresoftheWishingChair

I don't think she does actually. I think she attempts to, but in the end they just have her walk/drive off into the sunset after having given Tom and her best friend her blessing as a couple. I may be misremembering though.

Pickles89 Thu 28-May-20 15:37:39

@ItsNotJaneFonda

No, Sambuca belonged to the school dinner lady, years later. Her brother was the looney who shot Maxine. He really scared me!

ItsNotJaneFonda Thu 28-May-20 15:44:04

Pickes89 - aha - thanks - but wasn't Tom Sambuca's stepfather?

PorpentiaScamander Thu 28-May-20 15:48:25

I've rewatched it all twice blush
Tom was a shit and slept with anything that moved. But he loved the kids and that made him special.
Grantley is a miserable bastard at the beginning but I loved him by the end.
Tom dated Sambuccas Mum (Rose) but they had split up by the time she died.

Witchofzog Thu 28-May-20 15:51:56

Sambucca 😂 I have just watched Zoe give birth. She went from first contraction to birth in about 20 minutes hmm

ItsNotJaneFonda Thu 28-May-20 15:54:45

I loved the episodes with Scout and Lisa Riley playing her feckless mother. - and when they got the pupil referral unit.

I watched the series where they moved to Greenock.

AppleKatie Thu 28-May-20 16:00:57

I haven’t watched it in years but I used to love it. Idont think I clocked Sambuca’s name the first time either (idiot 🤣)

Rowgtfc72 Thu 28-May-20 16:06:37

Got as far as series three so far. Dont think Tom and Grantly are as nice in the early series.
Still cant stand Steph though!

crazycatgal Thu 28-May-20 16:09:23

@Pickles89 She did take her own life eventually. She got Tom and Izzy to come to a cottage with her after they'd split up and took her own life because of her MS.

Ughmaybenot Thu 28-May-20 16:13:50

Tom shit all over poor Lorna. No wonder she was wobbly and insecure, he was sleazy and untrustworthy as!
God I used to love him too.
No one will ever top Bolton smilie tho 😍 (Ignoring that ridiculous army-gun-hostage storyline they gave him, they did him dirty there!)

SallyLovesCheese Thu 28-May-20 16:29:13

I re-watched all of it over the past few months. Grantly was always my favourite, although I liked him better after the first few series.

Plenty of gaping holes and bizarre storylines, especially when staff and pupils turn up at the same time in the morning (that'd never happen!) but it's great to see it again.

I have memories that come up on Facebook sometimes from when I was last watching it - usually comments about Grantly being grumpy and some of his classic lines!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »