Talk

Advanced search

MIL wants DC to visit her mother

(16 Posts)
Mrsjayy Thu 28-May-20 09:33:27

I would try and placate Mil with a garden visit say you want things to go back to normal of course but atm the "rules" are outside only.

JudyCoolibar Thu 28-May-20 08:49:04

For a moment there I read "DC" in your heading as Dominic Cummings. Go on, I'm sure he'd be happy to visit your GMIL, he could check out his eyesight again.

Flower34 Thu 28-May-20 08:35:34

To clarify, we = DH and I. All through the lockdown we’ve been visiting GM for delivering groceries, meds etc. We spent time with GM chatting from the front garden, while she was inside by the window. She saw the children after months just a few days ago, that too from a distance (waved and kisses from the car). My kids are close to her, esp the eldest. She is missing them I know!
Mil isn’t trying to kill her or anything, lol. At times she can be very pushy!

OP’s posts: |
User8008135 Thu 28-May-20 08:16:57

Not inside i wouldnt, garden definitely.

The bigger issue than rules is your DHs mum trying to pressure you both when you've both declined. Is she normally like that or is this just lockdown exacerbating? You need to set boundaries.

namesnames Thu 28-May-20 08:14:36

Just stick to the guidelines.

hellsbells99 Thu 28-May-20 08:11:56

I would stick to just visiting in the garden. Going in the house increases the risk especially as it is an elderly person you are visiting.

PrayingandHoping Thu 28-May-20 08:07:32

It is if it's a group of people (grandparent, parents, grandkids) You're allowed to meet 1 other person, 2m away (in a public place which I know many think includes gardens)

Mrsjayy Thu 28-May-20 07:57:07

Standing in a front garden isn't breaking the rules

PrayingandHoping Thu 28-May-20 07:54:44

Well if you've broken the rules throughout lockdown then only u can decide what to do next as clearly the guidelines don't bother your family.

Mrsjayy Thu 28-May-20 07:51:27

Oh nobody is allowed inside homes are they? I wouldn't either not for the day a couple of hours in the garden would be my limit.

Anniegetyourgun Thu 28-May-20 07:50:42

Is her mother very rich? Is she trying to kill her off?

Mrsjayy Thu 28-May-20 07:49:00

Has your husband not seen his grandmother ?

Flower34 Thu 28-May-20 07:48:58

We have been visiting her all through. Spent time on her front garden etc. MIL wants the kids INSIDE the house now - for the whole day

PrayingandHoping Thu 28-May-20 07:46:52

The rules have been relaxed but this is not within the rules. You can meet 1 other person, 2m apart in a public place

Mrsjayy Thu 28-May-20 07:43:08

Surely a visit 2m apart won't do any harm if you all harm if you all have been following lockdown,what do you think will happen?

Flower34 Thu 28-May-20 07:37:57

MILs mother is 90. She lives 2 doors from
MIL. Now that the rules have been relaxed a bit, she wants DC to spend a day this weekend at hers to cheer her up. I said nothing yet, but I think it’s too early given her age (and medical conditions). DH agreed but MIL very pushy. Aibu to think we should wait a few more weeks ?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in