Talk

Advanced search

Do you wake your baby to feed?

(36 Posts)
VodkaCranberry2 Thu 28-May-20 00:08:08

I have a seven week old and ever since I have been feeding him every 2-3 hours 3-4oz. The hospital told us at the time to wake him to feed but is that just when they’re new? Baby currently asleep right now after 2 hours and pretty sure he’ll sleep another 2-3. WIBU to leave him until he wakes or do I wake him up? As you can tell I’m a new mum!

OP’s posts: |
Oysterbabe Thu 28-May-20 07:07:22

What is your baby's weight like? My first was a tiny scrap of a thing who barely slept at all and wanted tiny amounts very regularly. My second was lovely and chunky and would have a big belly full of milk and sleep for hours from day 1.
At 7 weeks the baby will definitely let you know when it needs something.

Sipperskipper Thu 28-May-20 07:08:01

I would wake mine to feed in the day to keep to our routine, and do a dream feed at about 1030 pm. Would never wake her overnight!

SodOffCovid Thu 28-May-20 07:08:07

Absolutely not. Sleeeeeeeep.

justhereforthetips Thu 28-May-20 07:08:30

I never woke my ds to feed him and no one ever told me to.

Raaaa Thu 28-May-20 07:16:40

My HV said the same, we said ok we will and then never did. Tbh fuck that if you've spent ages getting them to sleep! We also believed if she was hungry she would wake up

catfeets Thu 28-May-20 07:32:19

We were told this too. The hospital blamed her low weight on the fact that we didn't wake her every 4hrs on the dot, even though she was having lots of feeds during the day.
She had a 2wk hospital stay at a month old and they were ridiculously persistent. Not once did they manage to get her to feed during the night if she didn't wake on her own, she just refused it. All it did was cost both of us sleep.
By the time we were back home her sleep pattern was ruined and she did then start waking multiple times during the night. Took weeks and weeks to get her routine back.
She's 3mths old now and a healthy weight.

thunderthighsohwoe Thu 28-May-20 07:36:26

I deliberately woke to feed every three hours between 6am and 6pm, but overnight I just waited until she woke me.

3LittleMonkeyz Thu 28-May-20 07:59:30

With one of mine I had to on medical advice as a baby. Otherwise, no. I will wake them to change a pop but not a wet nappy. I mostly try to avoid waking them at all ever. Being woken before your done sleeping is never pleasant. Obviously there are times when we have to be somewhere but I will leave them sleeping for as long as possible.

tealandteal Thu 28-May-20 08:38:51

I did for the first 5 days or so but then midwife said it was OK not to as he was gaining nicely, plenty of nappies etc.

Conquistadora Thu 28-May-20 09:03:57

Never have, never would unless there was an issue with baby putting on enough weight or not producing enough wet/dirty nappies etc.

Azaziel Thu 28-May-20 09:15:33

I’ve not even heard of this. Why on earth would you wake a sleeping baby?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in